Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a used Smith & Wesson Model 52 barrel. But it will not fit in my pistol. I can install the barrel into the slide, but I cannot get the recoil spring and guide rod to fit. So, I tried to install the slide with the barrel - minus the recoil spring and rod - onto the frame It will go about halfway - and just stops.

Back to Model 52, 52-1, and 52-2. Are the barrels the same for all three? Or do they use different barrels? Which barrels fit which models?

A visual inspection reveals the used barrel is dimensionally different from the existing barrel. So I have used my files on those areas. Still will not fit.

Does anyone have a dimensional drawing of a Model 52-2 barrel?

Thank you.

Bob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I recently purchased a used Smith & Wesson Model 52 barrel. But it will not fit in my pistol. I can install the barrel into the slide, but I cannot get the recoil spring and guide rod to fit. So, I tried to install the slide with the barrel - minus the recoil spring and rod - onto the frame It will go about halfway - and just stops.

Back to Model 52, 52-1, and 52-2. Are the barrels the same for all three? Or do they use different barrels? Which barrels fit which models?

A visual inspection reveals the used barrel is dimensionally different from the existing barrel. So I have used my files on those areas. Still will not fit.

Does anyone have a dimensional drawing of a Model 52-2 barrel?

Thank you.

Bob
Update on fitting Model 52 barrel:

After some filing, more filing, sanding, and a lot more filing, I was able to fit this barrel to my Model 52-2. With the barrel in the slide, the recoil spring and guide rod are easily installed. The barrel/slide fit smartly onto the frame.
After reinstalling the slide lock, I loaded a magazine with 5 Starline unprimed virgin cases. The pistol will feed, extract, and eject all five empty cases.
The slide and barrel can be disassembled easily.
I have not fired the pistol yet.
Thanks to all for your replies, er, views of my original message.

Bob in Phoenix

1 - 2 of 2 Posts