Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped by my favorite LGS yesterday and they had just put out this neat little shooter grade Model 51.

Well since I sold my Model 51 last summer because the condition was a little challenged I thought I'd give this one a try.

These .22 Magnum Kit Guns are pretty scarce around here and this is the only the second one Model 51 I've found in captivity. It dates to 1960 the first year of manufacture.

I had a pair of J frame Target Grips just waiting for the right Kit Gun to come along.

Model 51.jpg M-51 1960.jpg Target Grips 51.jpg

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Leo, I had one and sold it to a friend in 2011, it was also from 1960. I bought it from a kid in the neighborhood and someone had tried to remove the extractor rod with pliers, which surprisingly didn't damage the rod, but scratched up the yoke something fierce. With some patient stoning and some cold blue, I ended up making it look presentable. My buddy is a 22LR and 22 Mag fanatic, he shot it and just had to have it! :)

·
Registered
19,891 Posts
Never seen one leo but that one looks like an excellent score. Congrats and enjoy. I do like the 22 mag as I think it is underrated and often overlooked.

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
That flat latch really makes the piece. I wonder why they didn't keep it.
Added to the wishlist! :D

·
Super Moderator
19,704 Posts
Congrats on the latest acquisition. The model 51 is a great pistol. I love the 22 magnum, and this one never disappoints.

Regards,
Gregory

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Leo , did you say finish challenged ?
I'll see you that and raise it a few. :eek:
I bought this corncob for the same reason , when you see one you just don't leave it laying there . No matter how FUGLY .
If you find a better one someday , upgrade.95876yt

It used to wear bone but sure points better with the big ole wood blobs.

Ya know ,, Like Irv said . One of the most useful packin kit guns around.
So maybe pre-scratched and dented , fearless to carry is not such a bad thing. fhfjjjj

Funny fun fact . The mod.34 22LR. got a 4 inch barrel. The mod.51 .22 mag. got a 3 1/2 incher.
Go figure , seems kind of backward.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts