Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a model 48-4 in the box with paperwork and cleaning kit. I also has a 22lr cylinder. I can't find much info about it online and was wondering if anyone could help out.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
You've come to the right place! Welcome! What would you like to know?

Drew

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
General info/value Serial num is 232KXXX previous owner states he bought it new and lr cyl came with it. He says it was a performance center option. Slight holster wear at muzzle and ant frame above crane. Mag cyl almost slightest ring. Little more on lr cyl. I have BB value online but cant nail down a value on this. I bought this and a unfired nib 629 3" unfluted cyl with wood combat grips. Paid 1000.00 for the both, which I'm sure was a good deal.
Regardles Ive been looking hi and low for a K22 type. So I'm more than happy.
Thank, Tom

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I have model 48-4 and it has a smoother lighter trigger pull than my model 17-4. It has less wear than my 17 so I suspect it may have had some trigger work done at one time.It would be nice to have a 22lr cylinder though because the lr is so much cheaper.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
232Kxxx would be around 1980 or so.... don't have my book right handy.

The basic gun in good-to-very good condition with correct box is probably worth about $450 and the .22 LR Cylinder adds about $125-150 to the retail value of the package. Check the cylinder to see if it's marked with a serial number. If it is, and the number matches the frame you can be assured that it was factory fitted and may well have shipped with the gun originally. However from my K-22 lore I am of the belief that by the time this gun was made, S&W wasn't factory fitting .22 LR cylinders any longer to ship as an OEM, only as an accessory.

The unfluted, 3" 629 is a good item if it is non-keylock.

The RETAIL value of what you bought is likely more than $1000 if everything is as described and original.

Drew

1 - 6 of 6 Posts