Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Model 48-3 that has a 22 long rifle cylinder. Would like to fit a 22 mag cylinder to it. Numrich sells the 22 mag cylinder for Models 2 and 4 but not the Model 3 cylinder. I understand that there is some difference in the gas seals? What is the difference and can I modify (machine or bush) the Model 4 cylinder to fit my Model 3 revolver?

Thanks
Daryl

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a Model 48-3 that has a 22 long rifle cylinder. Would like to fit a 22 mag cylinder to it. Numrich sells the 22 mag cylinder for Models 2 and 4 but not the Model 3 cylinder. I understand that there is some difference in the gas seals? What is the difference and can I modify (machine or bush) the Model 4 cylinder to fit my Model 3 revolver?

Thanks
Daryl
I did not mean to take over your post..I just want to see your gun and hopefully we both can get some answers from one of the pros

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
There was a time that you could send your model 48 22 rimfire magnum revolver S&W and get a 22 Long rifle cylinder fitted. I sent one of my two model 48 revolvers to back to S&W and they fitted a 22 L R Cylinder. When I got it back I found that the 22 LR cylinder worked in either of my Model 48s. I have neither now but when I sold the second one the cylinder went with it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
There was a time that you could send your model 48 22 rimfire magnum revolver S&W and get a 22 Long rifle cylinder fitted. I sent one of my two model 48 revolvers to back to S&W and they fitted a 22 L R Cylinder. When I got it back I found that the 22 LR cylinder worked in either of my Model 48s. I have neither now but when I sold the second one the cylinder went with it.
Thank Jim,oh. Man I'm looking for a 22lr cylinder....they were the good old days!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks
Daryl
After some more research online I believe the only difference is the gas seal/ring that is on the yoke for the 48-3 and on the cylinder for the other models -2,-4. Numrich had a used yoke for sale for the -2,-4 so I ordered the yoke and the new mag cylinder. I hope my 22 LR extractor will mate with the new cylinder. Looks like the extractor recess is plenty big enough for the 22 WMR shell rim.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After some more research online I believe the only difference is the gas seal/ring that is on the yoke for the 48-3 and on the cylinder for the other models -2,-4. Numrich had a used yoke for sale for the -2,-4 so I ordered the yoke and the new mag cylinder. I hope my 22 LR extractor will mate with the new cylinder. Looks like the extractor recess is plenty big enough for the 22 WMR shell rim.
More photos:

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Very nice looking !!! I just love the 48 ...would love to have one of each..........

·
Registered
421 Posts
Hopefully, you'll be good to go with the dash 2 yoke to fit the dash 2 .22LR cylinder. The dash-one changed the extractor rod threads from right hand to left hand thread. Dash 1 guns were 4-screw, the dash-2 eliminated the trigger guard screw, so the yoke retention would now use the front side plate screw. Dash 3 had the gas ring as part of the yoke, which was moved to the cylinder on the dash-4. At least, that is the way it reads.

Originally, when you ordered a M48, and got the .22LR cylinder along with the magnum one, a second yoke was included with the .22LR cylinder. I'm like Gunlover68, I'd like to have the .22LR cylinder for my 6" M48-4

1 - 10 of 10 Posts