Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought an old model 41, probably early 70's. It had problems cycling CCI STV ammunition, other more powerful brands seem ok.

So I cleaned it thoroughly, bought new springs and put everything together.

What I noticed was that the new recoil spring is noticably longer than the old one, probably more than an inch. And much stiffer, so with the new recoil spring there is no way the gun will cycle with CCI STV ammo. Not even close.

I even tried Wolff springs reduced power springs, but the weakest of them, the 6#, is too hard for the gun to cycle with cci stv.

With the old recoil spring the gun now works ok with an occasional ftf with cci stv, after thoroug cleaning, new extractor and spring and a new mainspring. The chamber is clean, rounds plunk in and drop back out without any problems, and the spent cases are pulled out without problems.

But what's up with that recoil spring? Any other things I should check up on?

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
I have bought an old model 41, probably early 70's. It had problems cycling CCI STV ammunition, other more powerful brands seem ok.
Had same problem with one I bought new about 1980--with any brand of SV, failures to eject completely were so frequent I really didn't enjoy shooting it; when I did, I used only HV. Not as bad, however, as with my Colt 1911 .22 Conversion unit--ONLY Stingers (too expensive for regular use) which make it cycle correctly!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts