Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m a rimfire fan, like the ol classics and decided to get a 41. Wavered between buying new and finding a nicer older model. Potential pitfalls with either scenario.

Found a clean one on GB and was the lucky bidder. 1991 vintage. I like the rear sight configuration from these years. Here’s a listing pic.
71DD6CD3-4C94-409A-960F-1596687FDE3D_1574894167310.jpeg

Came with a box, papers, tools and 3 mags. A little under $900.00 😀
4E02644B-FFD6-4BAF-95CE-3654A4C769BF_1574894493496.jpeg

I think the price was so low as this auction was somewhat hidden due to a quirk in GB listings. If you searched “Smith & Wesson Model 41”, this gun never showed up. Only appeared if you searched “S&W Model 41”.

Anyway, I’m pretty happy. 😀😀😀

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good news. The Model 41 came in yesterday. Had a touch of GB used gun anxiety which disappeared as soon as I saw it. Turned out to be nicer then expected.

470999E6-F300-4445-9151-57FD031AD628_1575148985526.jpeg

S&W really hit a home run with the design. Happy to have found a nice one from a older era. Hopefully it will shoot as good as it looks.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Very nice, good price as well. The extra mag is crazy expensive!! (if you can even find one!) Looks like the Long barrel?

PS: CCI SV 40 grain lead ammo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Very nice, good price as well. The extra mag is crazy expensive!! (if you can even find one!) Looks like the Long barrel?

Thanks Rule3. You’re exactly right, a 7” barrel. The box is not original to the gun but I’ll let my heirs worry about that. LOL

Ammo?
No worries. I’ve got a case of Remington Thunderbolts! Just kidding, I’m firmly entrenched in the SV camp. 😀

A couple rifles like SK pistol match so I’ll try those 1st. I do need to order a brick of CCI SV for testing.

·
Registered
18 Posts

go on ebay or gunbroker and get a half dozen or so magazines for 30 bucks each. I have a bunch of magazines and often will load them up and head to the range and have a blast!

While I only have two model 41s, I have over a dozen magazines and I love shooting the steel. Enjoy

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hey C,

Great score!

Give some CCI "Standard" a try!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
114 Posts
I bought a brand new model 41,
After no extract after no extract I finally sent her back to the factory. She came back same condition. I shoot steel plates with mine so I do not need to shoot CCI SV. I polished the chamber really well and now she will shoot anything I desire (which is bulk ammo most of the time). I know you were joking about the Thunderbolts, but that is exactly what I shoot in mine. I know that I am one that breaks the traditional SV ammo only in the 41:). Have a total of three barrels, which all but one needed the chamber polished. Love mine and shoots great.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
go on ebay or gunbroker and get a half dozen or so magazines for 30 bucks each. I have a bunch of magazines and often will load them up and head to the range and have a blast!

While I only have two model 41s, I have over a dozen magazines and I love shooting the steel. Enjoy
Thanks, I am not a E Bayer and never saw those, good price!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the kind comments. I’m taking my time and going to baby it with a little TLC before hitting the range.

Called S&W to see if I could purchase a new recoil spring and maybe another spare for my 28 year old Model 41. S&W customer service is sending two new springs free of charge! 😀

Have the bore soaking overnight in Hoppes #9 right now so I can clean the chamber well. Something I like to do for all the “new to me” rimfires.

Jstanfield103. Glad you have your new model 41 running well. Sounds like it was mostly polishing the chamber which ain’t bad at all. Like your 3 barrel setup and case.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
And that is why we buy used S&W handguns -- better blueing and the stocks are beauuuuuuuuuuuuuutiful ! ! !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts