Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I recently acquired a model 41 as I have heard good things about them both on this site and elsewhere.
My pistols' ser.# is 71xxx which I think puts it around 1965 dom.
It's in excellent condition imho, and came with 3 mags.
My question is regarding the magazines.
One looks used and 2 look brand new.
They are different and I was curious if the "new" ones are period to the gun.
The used magazine has the metal figure 8 follower and has a number 5 and 10 stamped on the side.
On the base it has a hole and S&W stamped on it with the lazy &.
The new mags seem to have plastic followers .
On the side is stamped number 5 and the fancy Smith and Wesson logo.
The base has no hole but does have the S&W with the lazy &.
The single used mag seems to be of higher quality.
Any help in dating these would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
The magazine with the metal follower was most likely the mag that came with the gun. I have both styles and they work flawlessly. Many seem to think that the metal follower mags are much better and try to get $100 for them but I've never paid more than $30 for one and often much less.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The magazine with the metal follower was most likely the mag that came with the gun. I have both styles and they work flawlessly. Many seem to think that the metal follower mags are much better and try to get $100 for them but I've never paid more than $30 for one and often much less.
I agree,
All three work well

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
You have a very fine .22 pistol. Most will say to only use standard velocity ammo, especially CCI. Mine works well with most SV and target stuff, but not the real low velocity versions. Recently bought a newer upper so I could use an optic and shoot closer to the potential of the gun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts