Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

So my safety/decocking lever broke off of my model 39-2 after a dry fire with a snap cap.
I called smith and wesson customer support, and they gave me the number for a place where I can order gun parts.

My question is, How do I take apart the slide? I know how to field strip it, but I haven't the slightest idea on how to take the slide apart.
If I order a new safety, I don't want to have to pay another 40 dollars minimum to have my gun shipped and fixed.

If you need pictures of the wound, I could take some.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Were it me, given the liability and how the hammer drop feature works, I'd ship the gun to S&W for the repair.

At very least, shipping the slide to a gunsmith won't cost $40 even overnight air...

Just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
19,539 Posts
LTP,
I don't want to come down on you with this, but -
IMO - Get it to either the S&W repair center or get a qualified gunsmith to repair it right away.

The cost of the repair is much less than the cost of a human life.

The money you spend on a professional repair will keep you from possible injury or death to either you, or somebody else that uses it - if it's re-assembled incorrectly.
Truly, you can't argue with us that you don't have the experience to attempt to repair it yourself, as you noted in your response above.
Don't let your pride get in your way, accept the cost of the damage and have a pro fix it.
You won't regret it later, and it shows you are being responsible about gun ownership.
~GQ~

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All right. I had no idea it was that potentially dangerous.

Smith and Wesson won't fix it, but a place that has the part I need will.
Maybe I could get them to mail me the part, and I could have a local smith install it. That might be cheaper, and I wouldn't have to deal with shipping it to them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts