Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this pistol back in the 80s and it is one of my favorite guns. A few years ago I started having trouble with the hammer falling to half cock when cycling and sometimes when putting it into battery.
I took it to a gunsmith recommended by some club members. He completely disassembled it, cleaned it, replaced all of the springs and replaced the sear over a couple repeat visits. Still did not work.
Took it to a second gunsmith who thought he had fixed it twice but no luck. He has since passed away.
I am into this gun for over $300 in repairs since it is my favorite 9mm to shoot.
Does anyone have any experience in resolving such a problem.
I bought a used one but don't like it as well and it turned out to need repairs as well.

·
Super Moderator
14,066 Posts
The design was originally introduced in 1955.

It sounds like someone tried to do an amateur "action job" on it, leaving the hammer and sear with "push off". This can happen if the angle the sear is cut at is wrong, or the edge is rounded. It's also possible that there has been wear. I don't know the internal mechanism of this early pistol, others here should have some experience.

Is the pistol Double Action only, or is it DA/SA? Is this failing in single action only, or double action only, or both?

It's likely that parts need to be replaced if they were improperly fitted at some point. That or there is a wear issue. Not sure of factory availability for the older Gen 1 S&W SemiAutos. Others here may have a better idea.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,
I bought it new and when it started to have this problem is the first time anyone messed with it. That was the two gunsmiths, I know enough not to fool with such work myself.
It is DA/SA and I can't say that I recall whether it happens on the first shot in DA or not. I usually am shooting targets and don't tend to use the DA much. When the 1st gunsmith looked at it, he said the hammer looked fine but that the sear looked worn and he was able to find a replacement. I think that he was able to find a new one somewhere. The first sear that he got he sent back because it was worse than mine was. Smith said that they have no parts when I called them. They said that they liquidated all of their parts some years prior, probably around the time that they decided not to sell to the civilian market. The guy I spoke to was suspicious of the sear spring. I took the advice and the gunsmith ordered a full set and replaced all of them. As it turned out, the sear spring was the only one not included in the kit so he had to order that separately.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts