Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up some double tap 9mm 77gr dt lead free ammo because its all I could get. Is this safe to shoot with my model 39-2? Never purchased this ammo before. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Almost all 9mm ammo is fired from semi-auto handguns so I would think it would certainly be safe. The only question I would have would be if the 77 grain payload would be enough recoil to operate the action.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
77 grain may not be enough to operate the slide fully. 77 grain is mostly shot in revolvers!! Try it and see if it works but don't be surprised if it does not ..

·
Registered
27 Posts
During the late 1970s our issued pistol was the 39/39-2 and issued ammo was the Federal 95 gr JSP. We clocked that round out of our guns at 1400 fps. We never had any problems with that round functioning in our guns.
Reading Doubletap's website they list their 77 gr at 1600 fps out of a Glock 17.
I'm not a fan of going that light of a bullet or some of the small boutique companies out there but you can only shoot what you can find. I could not find the shape of their 77 gr bullet. If it's round nose or nothing too flat I suspect the Doubletap will function fine as long as it will feed. Some guns tended to be picky on feeding short OAL.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts