Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across the Model 38 Bodyguard air weight at the gun store with asking price of $450 and would like to get some opinion regarding air weight snubbie . This one is pretty clean but the barrel color and frame is not matching ,there is slight play on the cylinder (end shake ?) but the bore is clean and there is no gas cutting mark or residue on the forcing cone, the blueing is about 80%.
How rare is this snubbie ? ( I only saw 2 of them in the pass 10 years around my neck of wood )
Is $450 too much asking price for such condition ?
Any sight or wear and tear due to air weight that I should be looking for ?

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Hey, sandy
First, welcome to the forum. welcome01
Some photos of the gun would be very helpful if you can get them.
The Bodyguard (pre-M-38) actually came out as an Airweight before a steel version appeared.
The frame, an aluminum alloy, has a coating similar to powder-coating.
That's why there's a color difference between the blued steel barrel and cylinder, as opposed to the frame.
Values are pretty hard to determine without a serial number and photos.
There is generally a very small amount of movement in the actions of most S&W revolvers, and that doesn't necessarily mean an 'endshake' problem.
ROUGH/APPROXIMATE guess?
Generally, a nice Bodyguard is worth more than $ 450.
I've seen 'em at $ 200 (doorstops) and at $ 750 (pristine).
Vintage has a lot to do with value, but condition is king!
Don
;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the info.
I like the hump back design and it seem to be like a new trend because both Charterarms and Ruger came out with one but nothing as nice as the Bodyguard profile . I did some price comparison and it seem that in my neck of wood the $200 S&W snubnose days was long passed so this might be one of a rare chance to get a decent Bodyguard in reasonable price

On one quick note , did S&W plan to come out with retro Bodyguard in the next few years ?

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Sandy,
S&W has several Bodyguards in current production:
The 638 in matte-finish alum alloy/stainless, and the 438 lightweight in matte black.
There's also the M-649, a matte stainless with a 2.13" barrel
That big hammer-shroud (hump) helps make the gun a good handler when using hotter loads! ;)
Don

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I have one that I use on occasion as a backup to a 1911. I'm not too fond of shooting J-frame guns in .38 caliber, though. But, it sure gives one a whole lot of peace of mind. I can't speak to prices as I purchased mine at a super steal from a local pawn shop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.