Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi friends, I recently purchased my first gun and haven't been able to definitively date it. It's a S&W model 38 2" revolver airweight bodyguard with a shrouded hammer and serrated trigger. The hammer has a tip, pardon my ignorance if this is the wrong term. The previous owner replaced the grips with Hogue's. It's black so from what I've read it's made of aluminum alloy and blued steel? There's no prefix on the serial number - which is 5147XX. I paid $529 no box or anything. Too much?

Attachments

Premium Member
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Your gun is a Model 38 Bodyguard Airweight. The serial number puts it being made between 1962 and 1969. So, if you open the cylinder and look in the yoke cut, there should be MOD 38 stamp in there. What you paid is in the ballpark for this gun.

Oh, and the "hammer tip" is called the hammer tang. But, we know what you meant 馃槂.

Registered
Personally I think it's a great choice for concealed carry. The shrouded hammer makes it practically snag proof for drawing and it being a J frame S&W it's operation is as easy and dependable as can be. With the right .38 special ammo it should serve you well. I'd go with 158 grain jacketed hollow points and have a couple speed loaders handy.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, here's the model number, although difficult to see in this pic. Thanks everybody - glad to be here ModOnYoke.JPG .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts