Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks! I'm one of the FNGs here, and I was told ya'll could help me figure out the rough manufacture date of my Model 36. The serial # is 679J** . I picked the gun up in a trade about 15 years ago. Either they were made with a really light pull, or this one has been tuned.
It's my summer carry, cause my M&P 40 is kinda hard to hide under a Tee shirt!! lol! Anyway, I'm really glad I found this site, and I'm looking forward to some good conversation and to learning some things!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
c pierce said:
That serial number doe's not seem right. are you sure it's not J679..
No sir, I'm sittin' here looking at it right now. The ser. # is on the butt, and it is 679J** stamped mod 36 on frame side of cylinder hinge. (you aren't the first to ask that question!)

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Is it possible for you to post a picture of the latch side of your model 36. It would help to tell if it's an early model .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
c pierce said:
Is it possible for you to post a picture of the latch side of your model 36. It would help to tell if it's an early model .
I will get my daughter to take some pics tomorrow and will post them.
Sorry, I didn't mean to be difficult!! (It just seems to occur naturally!!)
Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Mid to late 1980s. I can't be more specific than that. Its not a pinned barrel model, is it? During 1983 they started SNs of 1J***** and worked their way through this sequence. I have seen quite a few of them numbered like that.

·
Administrator
8,453 Posts
Borderdawg,
It's from 1971 or 1972. I have one close to yours. Mine is 673J13.

The reason for the confusion is the way the SCSW3 lists the serial numbers.

From 1971-72, the serial numbers were J1-999J99. Later on, in 1983, they started with 1J18601.

The key to know which is which is how many digits behind the J.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I'll concede to Carl. I haven't paid that much attention to them, just knowing that the 36s I've seen with a J between numbers all are newer non pinned guns. One thing is, it goes to show how many Model 36s they were selling a year.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks folks!! I can see there is a lot of knowledge to be found here!
Carl, thanks for the dates. (If it makes any difference, the last two on my 36 are 57) Geoff, I appreciate your help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts