Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. This is my first post, so please be gentle! I was presented with an opportunity this evening to acquire what appears to be a good condition Chiefs Special dating to 1955. I'm far from a S&W expert, so I'd really appreciate your opinions regarding this pistol.

It shows serial number of 595xx, which by my quick research shows to be made in 1955, which lines up with the current owners story. He said this thing was bought new by his grandfather in 1955, and sat in his nightstand for over 50 years. There appears to be a very slight turn mark on the cylinder. It has the standard (non flat) cylinder latch. The bluing looks good from the pictures I have (same pics posted here). It has the diamond checkered grips and half moon sight.

I've always been a Colt fan, and would always reference the blue book for info and values when I was researching a pistol before purchasing. The blue book on this one says to add 400% for a half moon front sight! I'm not sure what is so special about it, but this revolver appears to have one.

What I'd really like is your more seasoned knowledge regarding specifics of this pistol, and it's possible current realistic value.

Thank you for your time.

Revolver Wood Sleeve Shotgun Gun accessory
Bicycle fork Drinkware Bicycle part Cylinder Rim
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Rim Gas
Book Publication Font Paper Paper product

FYI - I don't know what the red circle is for. It was on the photo when it was sent to me.

·
Super Moderator
19,907 Posts
It's worth somewhere in the neighborhood of $700 baseed on sales here in Eastern Tennessee..
The red circle in the photo is pointing out that the barrel is pinned to the frame. As far as a 400% value increase for the 1/2 moon sight, that has to be a typo.
The only thing that would make it worth slightly more will be if it includes the original serial numbered box, with all of the original documents and contents.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
It's a K frame, not a pre 36. Still a nice gun.

And gearchecker, 400% premium for half moon baby Chiefs is about right.

here's the same (little older) in nickel

·
Super Moderator
19,907 Posts
And gearchecker, 400% premium for half moon baby Chiefs is about right.
And this still proves there are people out there with more money than brains.

Reactions: 1av8r

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
And this still proves there are people out there with more money than brains.
That's the market. Just a few of them, and willing buyers. Like paying 10 grand for a nice Registered Magnum. ( which is completely outta sight for me).

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
That be a K-Frame alright... (y) ... early Model 10 most likely.

What is the serial number on the bottom of the frame (i.e., bottom of the grips)?
Mine or the OP's?

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
595xx is not the serial number and it's not a Chief and I agree with the Gearchecker on that whole 400% thing.
Otherwise, it looks like a nice gun, Thor. Thanks for showing it and welcome.

Reactions: TTSH

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
I agree. Looks like a k frame. How many rounds?
Judging by the position of the flutes (pic 1) and the visible cambering on the face of the cylinder in the 3rd pic, it looks like 6 rounds.

Reactions: delcrossv

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
...I agree with the Gearchecker on that whole 400% thing.
I think the issue is we're talking about 2 different guns. The page he showed was for a Pre 36 (J frame)

The GUN he showed was a Pre 10 M&P on a K frame.

BTW SCSW 4th backs up the 3x-4x premium for a baby Chief's Special with half moon sights- no typo. ;)

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
I think the issue is we're talking about 2 different guns. The page he showed was for a Pre 36 (J frame)

The GUN he showed was a Pre 10 M&P on a K frame.

BTW SCSW 4th backs up the 3x-4x premium for a baby Chief's Special with half moon sights- no typo. ;)
I understand all that. I'm just agreeing with Gearchecker's opinion. :)

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts