Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had that moment at the gun shop; I had picked out my first revolver, went to the store, and then this little beauty caught my eye. A used, slightly tarnished Model 36. The next day I came back and asked to look at it. Man that thing felt good in the hand. Then I pulled the hammer back...and saw the hammer mounted firing pin. I am not a fan.
The size, weight, and feel were fantastic. What is the closest I can get to a Model 36, without the hammer mounted pin?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
The hammer mounted pin is a wonderful thing mate, why does it bother you? Enquiring minds want to know..

Thewelshm

·
Registered
22,002 Posts
Welcome to the forum! There are a variety of other J frame revolvers to choose from. Good luck with your quest.:cool:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I prefer the Centennial. It is the M38 Airweight Bodyguard .38 Special. The M40 All Steel .38 Special. The M42 steel .38 Special. The M49 steel .38 and .357 Magnum. The M640-1 .357 Magnum or my present one, the M340PD .357 Magnum that weighs 11 ounces!!!:eek:
These do not have a hammer so the draw can't catch on anything. My M340PD rides always in my left pants pocket. I don't even know that sucker is there.:cool:
Jim

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I think the 637 is the closest current production but .. I would be thrilled to have the one you saw over a new production given the choice and the right price.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Sparkdawg. My choice would be a model 60. Stainless steel instead of blue. The search is a large part of the fun. Enjoy!!!

Gary

·
Registered
319 Posts
I prefer the Centennial. It is the M38 Airweight Bodyguard .38 Special. The M40 All Steel .38 Special. The M42 steel add sentence.38 Special. The M49 steel .38 and .357 Magnum. The M640-1 .357 Magnum or my present one, the M340PD .357 Magnum that weighs 11 ounces!!!:eek:
These do not have a hammer so the draw can't catch on anything. My M340PD rides always in my left pants pocket. I don't even know that sucker is there.:cool:
Jim
All the models you listed do indeed have a hammer! They are concealed but they do have hammers.
That said newer ones have a frame mounted firing pin that the OP might like.

Oh, the 638 IS NOT a Centennial model it is part of the Body Guard series as it does not have an enclosed hammer!

·
Registered
19,775 Posts
If you want the enclosed hammer..........you want a 638 or 640,642.

·
Registered
10,425 Posts
At the risk of being banned from the Forum, you might seek out a Ruger LCR and try it for size, fit and function. I have several J-Frame S&W's and will continue to buy them if the price is right, but if I'm looking for a new 'snubbie' revolver for personal carry, I'm going to the Ruger option, better trigger and recoil absorption features IMO.

·
Registered
7,755 Posts
Welcome aboard from the "GunShine"state of Florida. weiweinp

State of over 2 MILLION 21 THOUSAND Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

·
Registered
19,775 Posts
I don't understand your not liking a hammer mounted firing pin. It's not the firing pin that gets hung up when drawing........it's the hammer itself! Get yourself a M-640!! Bob

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Having occasionally dealt with stuck frame mounted pins, I'd suggest the OP rethink his dislike of a hammer mounted pin. ;)

Reactions: 1av8r
1 - 16 of 16 Posts