Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one has been around the block. She was stolen and recovered in the 70's, then sat in a cookie tin on the top shelf of a closet, until hurricane Katrina. It sat underwater for about 2 months. My uncle recovered it as he was cleaning his house out after the flood. After that he gave it to me. Not the prettiest girl at the prom, but..... she sure shoots well. I have no plans to refinish it, to me it adds to the story. Model 36-1, Serial number 986XX S&W 36.jpg

·
Registered
8,999 Posts
Hey W,

Give it an "ATF" bath (remove grips/let soak for a week or three).

Take it apart. Total clean job. (if its rusty outside, sure be its rusty inside) Put it back together. CHOOT IT! (a lot)!! LOL

I like your idea of keeping the "patina"..... makes one recall one's family..

Later, Mark

·
Super Moderator
34,436 Posts
Hey W,

Take it apart. Total clean job. (if its rusty outside, sure be its rusty inside) Put it back together. CHOOT IT! (a lot)!! LOL

Later, Mark
This is a first best step!

·
Premium Member
Model 27 and Model 19 (early builds)
3,805 Posts
It's a good gun for sure, but you must soak and clean it. You will surprised how much it will help it.

Here's my 36-1:

·
Registered
422 Posts
36 no dash is the first S&W I ever bought. I was just getting started in the produce business back in 1974 and one of my ne'er-do-well buddies wanted to borrow $100. I knew he was a deadbeat so I got collateral and this is it. He never paid me back but I didn't care. It was like new when I got it but I carried it with snake shot when wading Lake Okeechobee and one year I forgot and left it in the rod box of my covered up bass boat down in Florida for nearly a year. That's where the blue went. Always was a good shooting gun. Same buddy came along about 10 years later and I loaned him another $100 on a nice mod 10 4" that he never came back for. :D

·
Registered
27,108 Posts
Hey W,

Later, Mark
I agree. Get rid of the rust and shoot it. Great history on that M36. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts