Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Model 29-2 out to the range yesterday. I fired it fast double action with my handloads of 11.0 grains of Unique with 200 grain XTP's. I noticed twice that it seemed to skip a cylinder. Both times, different cylinders. I took a picture of the shel and you can see where the firing pin whacked it on one side next to the primer. Now, when I fired double action a bit slower, no problems what so ever. I was wondering if maybe it was me not getting good trigger return or what. I know the 29 isn't a combat gun. The lock up otherwise is tight as a bank vault, both single action and double action, with no cylinder play at all. Any ideas?

·
Registered
753 Posts
I don't think it's the "non-endurance package" problem of shooting heavy loads and having the guns cylinder unlock and open under recoil. First of all, 200 gn loads aren't heavy loads. Also, you didn't mention the cylinder opening under recoil.

I think your cylinder stop may not be rising up high enough to lock the cylinder from turning (the stop is that button on the bottom of the window). When slow DA or SA shooting, the cylinder notches aren't getting abused or stressed like fast DA shooting. It might be a weak cylinder stop spring or the stop itself. It could be adjusted easily if you know how to take it apart. Look up in the FAQ (page 3) I have pictures and instructions on how to adjust the stop so it goes up higher in the cylinder notches.
Good luck, the 29s are my most favorite revolvers. hpzl;n;

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, the cylinder didn't open on recoil. I have ordered a new cylinder stop and spring just to be sure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
David,

The cylinder stop is not a drop in part.It has to be carefully fitted.My suspicion is that the cylinder stop spring will solve the problem.I had a problem identical to yours with a 629-1 and a stronger cylinder stop spring took care of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts