Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a model 29 classic 6 1/2 in barrel factory engraved. I was wondering if I changed the factory grips to something more comfortable would I ruin the value of the gun. Is that just a no-no or does it matter as long as I keep the originals

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
First of all welcome01 to the Forum.

Second, if you change the grips for comfort or better control then by all means change them. Just keep the original grips. It will not affect the value at all.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
What will change the value is if you shoot it or keep it unfired. What model is your gun? Include the dash. Is it a commemorative? Has it been fired before you got it? Send pictures as it will help with answers.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
18,762 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Um... last time I checked the stocks could be replaced at will. Unless you throw away the originals the value will be unaffected by swapping the wood since you can always swap them back on. However, SHOOTING the gun will dramtaically reduce the value to serious collectors. Is this a serious collector's piece? Did you buy it as a collectible?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well stated by the others here. I will add (don't ask me how I know) that some replacement grips may ride higher then the OEM grips and may contact the metal at different points. This can result in wear marks on the bluing which can be noticeable when changed back to the OEM grips. This can happen during prolonged use of heavy loads even if the grips are screwed down to the max. The wear won't show until the grips are removed. This will definitely affect value.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a model 29-10. Commemorative? Don't know. It did come with a nice display case. I've already shot it a couple times. Didn't buy it just for collecting. I just can't leave it sit there without firing it. I'm definitely not a serious collector. I just like firing iconic guns, and the prettier the better. Thus getting the engraved one. I would like to be able to fire it more accurately and with enough comfort to shoot for a while. I just wanted to be cautious making this change because I know that with many collectible things changing from original is a huge no-no. Which doesn't seem to be the case here unless the new grips cause unusual wear. I appreciate everyone's input.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

As far as shooting it comfortably. I shoot mostly 44 specials in my 44s. Still blows big holes... easier on the wrists.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts