Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If fortunecookie45lc on YouTube is correct,when determining the correct size cast bullet for a revolver the diameter of the cylinder throats is more important than the barrel diameter. He suggests dropping progressively larger bullets into the chambers until one is found that requires a gentile push to push it out. That works for model 19-2 4" and on my model 38. However, the chambers in my 4" model 29-2 seem to be much too large. Lyman 429421 bullets sized at .4327 go right through. Has anybody else encountered this?

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Non-lock S&W 44 magnums have cylinder throats that are factory machined slightly over size. The Cast Bullet Forum has doctorial dissertations about solutions. Use the largest diameter bullet that will fit your cylinder throats and load easily into the cylinder. After that -- good luck. I had five M-629 (now down to 4) that I reloaded cast lead bullets. I also had a set of 0.250" to 0.500" (increasing in diameter by 0.001") pin gauges to measure all those throats. My solution was shoot a 215 or 240 grain bullet with a Hornady gas check and size the bullet 0.431" .

There was some leading, JB Bore paste helped polish the lands and grooves, and good bullet lube minimized problems. 44 mag loads leaded, hot 44 spl (in 44 mag brass) was not a problem for leading. Do a search and you will be amazed at the theories, facts, opinions, and methodologies to solve S&W problems with "correct" barrels and oversized cylinder throats. Why not just machine the cylinders to the correct size and torque barrels to align with the frame?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response. What is a non-lock 44 magnum? What does "torque barrels to align with the frame" mean?
My Model 29, N62291, was manufactured in 1972 and the barrel is pinned. I also posted on the CastBoolets forum and someone gave me information about a man in NC that precision grinds cylinder throats. I will probably contact him.

·
Registered
10,144 Posts
Hey Good Wrench,

Buy your own reamer..

I have several 45acp revolvers. All the ones I use in competition get the throats reamed, as well as the 45acp finish reamer in each charge hole.

That way, I KNOW each cylinder is a near to the same as possible. (the older M 25-2's were/are the WORST for uniformity...in my experience. Each charge hole can be of a differing depth/diameter...etc)

Try powder coating your bullets....That can help...

Later, Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts