Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 29-3 44 mag. And was wondering if someone could help identify what year it was made ...serial # aur55xx.....thanks

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
DAT,

Welcome!

My best interpolation is between 1982 and introduction of the -3 E in 1987.

Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply, is there a way to determine the exact year?? Also, there is no marking on the right side of the frame, that says "made in USA with Spanish writing and s&w Springfield Massachusetts ...I've noticed all.the other ones I've seen on.the internet have that stamped ...any ideas why this is missing??

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
dat,

You can write the S&W Historian, Mr. Roy Jenks, at the factory and include $50.00. He will tell you when and where the gun shipped, and it's original configuration. He may be able to give you a mfg. date. Unless there is some provenance in the gun's association with an historical event or personage, you will probably be underwhelmed at the information provided.

The lack of stamping on the frame is fairly unusual, but not rare, and it's "missing" will command no premium as to value/collectability. There exist many examples of missing or eroneous or overstamping. These mistakes are fairly common, and S&W, having a history of wasting nothing, never let a stamping, right, wrong, or missing, keep a gun from shipping.

Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts