Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time lurker first time poster. My father was in law enforcement and recently gave me a box full of his various service weapons over the years as he was downsizing. I the box was a S&W Mod 28 4 inch barrel, not a 28-2 or anything like that. It is in nickel finish and the cylinder is a little worse for wear where the nickel came off but it still smooth. Serial is S1835XX which on a board with the serials puts it to be a 1958-59 era.

I can find no valuation info on a Nickel Model 28 that is that early. I am shipping off to get refurb and nickeled and not sure what I should insure it for. I saw some posting here that the early M28s in Nickel are rare but I am not sure. He carried this gun for a while at the Georgia State Patrol, would like to get it back to its former beauty. I vaguely remember it as a kid.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Premium Member
20,721 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Unfortunately, if your M28 was originally nickel (not likely), you have just ruined any value over a shooter it may have had. Original nickel guns are extremely rare and bring considerably more than a common shooter. The majority of the nickel guns we know of were 5" Florida State Patrol revolvers and are stamped FSP on the backstrap. The others are mostly salesman samples. So, when you get it back, it may look like a million dollars and will be worth in the vicinity of $500.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
My suggestion, if you haven’t shipped it yet or can get it back, is do some further research. We have some real experts here ( I’m not one of them!) who may be able to help you if you can provide some well - focused photos. A letter might be useful, depending on your research results. Just a thought. Hank

·
Registered
15,304 Posts
Come on guys. The 4 inch model 28's have taken off as far as prices, and with a good, fresh re-nickle it would probably be worth $600-650 as a nice looking but not original shooter. The goal here is to return his fathers gun to its original ( as he remembers it) good looks. I dont think value matters much, except in this case for insurance reasons to ship it. A half decent 4" M28 goes for around $650 and I would insure it for that if not $700.

·
Premium Member
20,721 Posts
I don' disagree with jonesy. In fact, I refinished my grandfather's .32 Regulation Police in spite of many recommendations that I not do so. But, my gun never had a chance to be collectible and needed prettying up since it was burned in a fire in the 1950's. The action was bad due to the fire and subsequent bubba gunsmithing. It now resides in a shadow box. I would NOT advocate that the OP get an historian's letter. The chance that this gun was originally nickel is so low, it would be a waste of $100 which is better spent, in his case, on the refinish. And, I doubt even an expert could tell if the nickel finish is original or aftermarket without an in-hand inspection with a magnifying glass. A refinish by S&W would be clearly marked on the butt but they refused to refinish the Model 28 in anything but blue. IF the hammer and trigger are nickeled, that is a clear giveaway the gun was refinished.

Railtech, I don't mean to imply you are doing the wrong thing. You want the gun restored to top condition and there is nothing wrong with that as long as you understand it will not change the value of the gun. And, anyway, the value to you is priceless as an heirloom. Enjoy!

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
There were never any nickel model 28 except the one made for the Florida High Way Patrol Command Staff by special order. They are very rare to find and bring VERY HIGH prices when found. Very few were made . So you model 28 is not a factory nickel finish .. Sending it off to be " Re Nickeled" is probably not worth the money to do. It will probably cost you more than the gun is worth. For Nickel to go on properly the gun first has to be flashed in copper as the Nickel will not stick to the steel . then the Nickel over that that means that ALL the nickel on the 28 now will have to come off. Its an expensive process .. That is why you don't see modern Nickel guns any more.

i would suggest a Hard chrome finish or maybe durakote But Hey its you gun and your money. Either way it won't add value to your gun other than as a shooter ..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey thanks everyone for the responses, it’s still in the safe. Was just wondering on all the answers you responded on. It being my dads service piece and I have nothing in it would like to make it nice and pass to my kids with my dads shield. I appreciate all the responses. Likely got nickeled at some point before he got it. Thanks!!!!

·
Premium Member
20,721 Posts
Layne, I hate to say it but none of the Smith & Wesson guns in nickel had a copper substrate. The nickel is plated directly on the steel.

Guy

Reactions: StrawHat

·
Registered
274 Posts
I would love to find some $500.00 28's. I watch them on GB often and can't remember one going for much under $800. in a couple of years. I bought the one I have at a pawn shop a few years ago. I paid less than $600. then but they have gone up in price fast over the last few years.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts