Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. New to this forum.
I just purchased a model 28 in excellent condition and was hoping to use it for idpa. However, when looking for speedloaders all I could find were HKS and comp 1. Does anyone know of an alternative or a work around that would be more competitive? TK Custom makes moon clips but having the cylinder cut for them doesn’t make much sense.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I watch some of the competitive shooting events on the outdoor channel. I don't recall seeing any top competitors using speed loaders these days. Its pretty much all moon clips.
That being said, I don't think I would take a nice classic M-28 and have the cylinder cut for moon clips unless I could find a 2nd cylinder to have cut so I could retain the original to make the gun original again if I wanted.

·
Registered
19,527 Posts
Welcome to the forum!:)

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Welcome to the forum. When I shot competition years ago we shot 12 rounds in 10 seconds at 15 yards. That required a fast reload and we all used HKS speed-loaders. With practice you will like the HKS. I wouldn’t cut the cylinder on that gun for lots of reasons.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
HKS work well. Safariland makes speedloaders, Comp II, that simply require a push rather than a twist to release the cartridges. Much faster. They also make trays that arrange the cartridges in the proper position for a particular cylinder.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I’m not biased but I like HKS ...

8BBFB397-687D-4C70-9AB2-A67E9B3F945C.jpeg

I used to shoot vintage revolver competition (not very good) and almost everyone was using HKS. Some people were amazingly fast.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I like the HKS speedloaders and, other than moon clips in a .45acp, found them to work great for my usage. I've seen the "push type" but haven't used them.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Don’t use/need speed-loaders for my Mod 28, but I agree with jonesy. If I was going to alter a cylinder for speed-loaders, I’d get a second cylinder and keep my original, if it’s numbered to the gun. Hank

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
I didn't know anybody but HKS still made speedloaders.

I just thought of it. I shot an IPSC match (local club) years ago with a revolver. I know we had to do a reload, probably more than one, but I'll be darned if I remember how I did the reload. It was my first ever match, so I doubt I went out of my way for anything fancy, so I must have used HKS speedloaders. Or maybe even Speed-Strips. I know I didn't reload from a pocket. I'd still be there. :)

It was a long time ago.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts

(stock photo)
Here's a different "twist" on the subject.:rolleyes: Years ago I worked
at a cop shop and we sold Dade Speedloaders. I don't shoot
competition but I use these at the range for my 28. They work
fine for my needs. You may find some old ones but they're not
made anymore as far as I know.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
View attachment 465409
(stock photo)
Here's a different "twist" on the subject.:rolleyes: Years ago I worked
at a cop shop and we sold Dade Speedloaders. I don't shoot
competition but I use these at the range for my 28. They work
fine for my needs. You may find some old ones but they're not
made anymore as far as I know.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95
it looks like they work in a very similar Speedbeez. a coiled spring around the diameter that is overcome by the plunger. Seems like a good system for fast since you are actually forcing therounds into the chamber rather than depending on gravity. Unfortunatly I just checked and sppebeez doesnt support the 357 N frame

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Safariland still has the pushbutton kind.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts