Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got home with my latest find, looking forward to hitting the range tomorrow with my boys to see how it shoots:)

Figure this was made around 1982 as it has a rather high serial number but still has the recessed cylinder.

I would prefer this to be factory original but don't imagine jeweled triggers & hammers were an option. Did Smith and Wesson offer night sights or magna port? Very smooth trigger so figuring someone probably had some trigger work done and perhaps jeweled at the same time?

Any info would be appreciated.

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
10,314 Posts
Congrats mate I have its brother, you will love it.

thewelshm

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,716 Posts
Nice looking gun, Jim! S&W didn't offer jeweling on its guns, but did offer porting on some models. I suspect yours was aftermarket. Also, it appears to have tritium sights. They're probably dead by now, though. The manufacturer may be printed on the front sight.

·
Registered
11,072 Posts
A late N serial -2 would have a recessed cylinder with a non pinned barrel. The two late non pinned 28-2 guns I had were about as accurate as the 28-3, maybe as accurate,,, the 6" -3 was amazingly accurate.

·
Registered
10,108 Posts
Great Score!

·
Premium Member
20,716 Posts
Thanks guys,
Rather than Hoppes what bore cleaner could I use?
The original Hoppe's #9 contained ammonia which attacks copper. Some nickel plated guns are first plated in copper, then nickel. If the nickel gets a nick, the Hoppe's can get under the nickel plate and erode the copper which then results in the outer nickel coat flaking off. S&W never used copper in its gun plating. So, nickel plated S&W revolvers are not susceptible to flaking from ammonia. HOWEVER, Hoppe's now makes a version of #9 that is safe on all nickel guns. It will so state on the container.
Other popular gun cleaners are: homemade Ed's Red Gun Bore Cleaner (Google for formula), Blue Wonder Gun Bore Cleaner, Birchwood Casey, and on and on...

·
Registered
558 Posts
I only have a couple nickel revolvers and they are protected with Ren-Wax, but I do the bores, very carefully with #9. I do not shoot these revolvers often as one is a 6" nickel Diamondback. Big Larry

·
Registered
10,314 Posts
I use
The original Hoppe's #9 contained ammonia which attacks copper. Some nickel plated guns are first plated in copper, then nickel. If the nickel gets a nick, the Hoppe's can get under the nickel plate and erode the copper which then results in the outer nickel coat flaking off. S&W never used copper in its gun plating. So, nickel plated S&W revolvers are not susceptible to flaking from ammonia. HOWEVER, Hoppe's now makes a version of #9 that is safe on all nickel guns. It will so state on the container.
Other popular gun cleaners are: homemade Ed's Red Gun Bore Cleaner (Google for formula), Blue Wonder Gun Bore Cleaner, Birchwood Casey, and on and on...
I use hoppes on mine, no issues..

thewelshm

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, yesterday was range day with the boys. Had lots of fun shooting the 357 and I brought along my 29-2 also, the 14 year old hadn't fired a 44 mag yet. Not sure any of us really enjoy the 44 as much as the 357 but I like the Dirty Harry connection.

Jim

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts