Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most my Amigo's know that I'm a Model 28 guy. I put together a pretty good collection of the variants of that model. But the one that has eluded me has always been a 28-1....

So this is as close as I will ever get.... :mrgreen:

Model 27-1 4-Screw with 4" Barrel....

Doc44 and I have had emails in past years discussing the rarity of the various dash one N-Frames.

Here is what I've gleaned from that research over the years. Almost all of this is from Doc44's hard work and I am quoting and paraphrasing him a good deal here...

Bill is an exceptional gentleman, willing to share his knowledge and help many a budding S&W collector ~ including yours truly

All -1 models have a 4-screw frame EXCEPT for the Model 29-1 where all but one reported (S220004) have a 3-screw frame and an extractor rod with a right-hand (old style) thread. In reality, only S220004 is a true Model 29-1. The other ones are stamped 29-1 in the yoke cut, but are not configured correctly.

Based on what I have observed over the years, the -1 model variation would best be described: 4-screw frame, extractor rod with a left-hand thread as evidenced by a small relief cut behind the knurled tip, "L" stamped on the rear surface of the cylinder, stamped MOD.XX-1 in the yoke cut.

I am only talking about models of revolvers that were stamped -1 when the extractor rod threads were changed from right-hand to left-hand as directed by the engineering change dated December 22, 1959.

The engineering change to implement the extractor rod with the left-hand thread was issued by S&W on December 22, 1959 and resulted in revolvers with the -1 model variation. The engineering change to implement the improved cylinder stop with the elimination of the cylinder stop plunger screw was issued on November 28, 1961 and resulted in revolvers with the -2 model variation. The time it took to implement these changes was substantial as the -1 models were shipped throughout 1962 and the -2 models began in late 1962.

The change to the extractor rod with a left-hand thread was authorized in late 1959, but -1 models did not begin to be shipped until 1962 and most were shipped in that year with a few carrying over to 1963. The -2 models also appeared in late 1962, so the the -1s were really only shipped for a year plus.

The engineering directive to change the thread direction on the extractor rod (RH to LH) was issued on December 22, 1959 and took approximately two years to implement (based on what we know today...and it may change when more revolvers are discovered and documented). The engineering directive to implement the improved cylinder stop that resulted in the elimination of the cylinder stop plunger screw (i.e. 4-screw frame to 3-screw frame) was issued on November 28, 1961 and was implemented much more quickly as revolvers with a 3-screw frame began to be shipped in early 1962. That is why (some believe) Model 29-1s have a 3-screw frame as S&W had old style extractor rods and cylinders, but had made the switch to the 3-screw frame and used up the old cylinders and extractor rods on the "new" frames. I am not sure why these guns were actually stamped MOD. 29-1 in the yoke cut, but they were.

giz

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
If this seems confusing to any of the new people {and others, like me}, remember that S&W did not have a FIFO {first in, first out} inventory system that anyone can asertain.
Giz, that is a revolver that any collector would enjoy having kfjdrfirii

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks...

Think I just received the ultimate compliment. Bill Cross ( Doc44 ) just typed that it is " rare, indeed " .... ;)

We've yacked back and forth for two years about various dash ones... About 2 years ago I had a different animal. A K-Frame dash one. Bill barely knew of any existing....and let me know. A fellow RNS has a pretty substantial collection of K Frame 22's....That gun now resides in his collection.

Dash Ones Rule... kihfL

giz

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Giz
Now, thats a nice one for sure! I don't believe I have ever seen any other 27-1, in person or in pictures. Have you shot it?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Gizamo said:
Model 27-1 4-Screw with 4" Barrel....

giz
Some finish carpenter you are! That's a 3 1/2" tube you've got there. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts