Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I was curious about the model 25, sorry if a lot of this information is repeated stuff. I know it started as the 1917 and then the model of 50 and 55. Were all of those in 45 acp? There’s some rare 45 LC ones out there right? The dash sequence is different for the 25 right? It’s my understanding the -3, -4 and -5 are different versions of the 45 LC commemorative gun. It also seems like after awhile the 25 in 45 acp was discontinued and it’s mostly just 45 LC? My fiancée really loves 1911s and I was thinking somewhere down the road maybe she’d like a 25. Any owners out there of either chambering how do you like em? If you have both what is your preference? I’ve never shot a 45 LC and I’m kind of interested in both and I’m going through a thing with 4” N frames. More and more keep making it on the list (pretty much all of them are on the list at this point). Thanks

· Registered
5,497 Posts
Partly right .

.44 Hnad Ejector first Model was made and could be ordered in .45 LC however records show that only 21 were ever produced. The .44 second and third models were also produced in limited quanities in .45LC

the Model .45 Hand Ejector Model of 1917 came next wth military grades being bade from 1917 to 1919 and Commercial Grades being made from 1920 to 1941 these were .45 Auto Rim and .45 ACP the Model 1955 Target Models were made in .45 Auto Rim .45 ACP and .45 LC with the .45 LC being the rarest and bringing a 300 % premium.

After 1957 the Model 25 in .45 ACP was designated the model 25-2 .. The Model 25-5 by then came along and was made only in .45 LC

The .45 Hand Ejector Model of 1950 only came in .45 Auto rim and .45 ACP and only 2,768 were ever produced there were about 200 made in .45 LC as special orders only.

The Model 26 designation of the .45 Hand Ejector model of 1950 was the last after the numerical model number designations ..

Clear as Mud Right ?? but that is the best of the line up as you can find. There may be variations of different guns but the Smith Wesson Historian will have to sort those out via a individual letter

· Registered
3,362 Posts
From the bottom to the top, in chronological order. All are chambered for the 45 ACP. Bottom is a 1917 Military, built in 1918. Next two are both 1917 commercial revolvers, one is from circ 1930, the other??, I forgot. Net up is a 1950 Military revolver from 1952. Next is the Model 25-2 and top right is a 22-4, configured as an updated 1950 Military.

Yes, there are gaps in that sequencing, namely the target sighted versions of the ones pictured. Others can help with those.

Kevin

Attachments

· Registered
3,362 Posts
In the OP you asked if anyone had both the ACP and long Colt versions and if so, which did they prefer? Originally I had the 25-2 (ACP) and eventually got a 25-5 (long Colt). While I still have the -5, it is rarely used (maybe 15 years ago) and will be traded for another ACP.

Kevin

· Registered
6,650 Posts
Is that a 5 inch barrel? That’s a cool package right there.
The gun started out as a 6 1/2 incher. Due to some rust near the muzzle from the front sight, Dave Keith shortened the barrel, fit another cylinder, and had it nickel plated.. I never have been able to resist shiny things.:(:cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.