Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. I just registered on here and this is my first post. Can anyone provide information on the barrel markings on the Model 25? Specifically, I have seen ".45 COLT CTG" as well as ".45 COLT". What would be the different variants and/or years of manufacture for these two different caliber markings on a 25-5? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
19,958 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! The Model 25 was chambered for a number of .45 caliber rounds. Early production was .45 ACP or Auto Rim and a very few in .45 Colt. These were marked "45 Cal. Model 1955" on the barrel. In 1977, S&W released the 125th Commemorative edition in .45 Colt. In 1978, barrel marking was changed for the 25-5 to ".45 Colt CTG" and .45 Colt became the standard chambering. There were about 1500 made with barrels incorrectly marked ".45 Cal. Model 1950."

·
Premium Member
4,273 Posts
welcome01to the forum from SE Indiana. What Guy saidkfjdrfirii..should answer your question. Regards. Dick

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
welcome01to the forum from SE Indiana. What Guy saidkfjdrfirii..should answer your question. Regards. Dick
Guy and Dick, thanks a lot. Unfortunately Guy's post doesn't really answer my question. I have seen 25-5s marked with ONLY ".45 COLT" as opposed to ".45 COLT CTG". Trying to find when the ".45 COLT" ones were made as opposed to the ".45 COLT CTG" ones.

·
Premium Member
19,958 Posts
That info is not in the library I have access to. You might want to ask that question on the Blue Forum where the geeks (er, S&W experts) that obsess over minutia reside ;).

Just so you don't think we don't know things, the WWI Model 1917 was sometimes marked .45 DA on the left side of the barrel. ;) These were .45 ACP...mostly...but some .45 Colts were made for Canada. AFAIK, the barrel markings didn't change. This is not really relevant to your question, but a bit of trivia I thought to share. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bill, thanks a lot. Here is a pic. As far as I know, it is on a Jovino gun. There is clearly enough barrel length that the "CTG" part of the marking would still be there. Wasn't sure if Jovino was known for removing that part of the marking or if this was a 25-5 variant from a certain year that only used the "45 COLT" marking.
Jovino 25-5.jpg

·
Registered
23,435 Posts
It's possible that's a John Jovino gun although I don't remember ever hearing of him removing the 'CTG.' marking. That sight looks a bit unusual, it could be a custom barrel either installed by him or someone else.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Can you take more pics of it? I am no help here, just interested.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bill and series guy, thanks a lot for your input. Do you (or anyone else on here) know if it was commonplace for Jovino to use blanks and stamp them instead of modifying the existing barrels on revolvers submitted for "Effector" conversion? That would make sense if it was a common practice of his. I thought that the only stamping done was the addition of "EFFECTOR" and hadn't considered that he may have used barrel blanks on some of these pieces. (And Bill, I don't own the piece in question....but I may shortly. : ) Will work on providing pics if everything works out.)

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Ooops please disregard . Redundant info already covered ,, I did not read enough.

·
Premium Member
19,958 Posts
Ah, Jovino. Knowing about the Effector stamping would have simplified ID. I'm not a Jovino expert...or any other expert for that matter. However, he was known to order guns from S&W which he sometimes modified and resold. Some of these guns were stamped at the factory before they were sent to him, such as the 500 Model 681s stamped NYSP for the New York State Police. It is possible that S&W stamped Effector and .45 Colt on the barrels before sending them to him. However, there is nothing in the information I have to indicate they did that. Besides, S&W would not have cut the barrel and shroud like was done on his short barreled guns. IIRC, the Effectors had the front locking lug removed and a ball detent installed in the yoke for locking the front of the cylinder. That almost assuredly was done by Jovino. And, he probably stamped the barrels during the modifications.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts