Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a model 25-5 in 4 inch nice condition and a scrolled 29-10 in 4 inch That was fired a few times also in nice shape with the box and tools.My issue is I need to keep one and have a problem choosing.Also what is the current value of these nice Smiths both in very good condition no scratches or dings all the blue is visible. Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun accessory
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

·
Banned
333 Posts
If it was me, the 29-10 (with its IL) would have to go. Now, if it was a 29-2, I might have to give it some more thought, depending on the production year and condition. Value? I wouldn't begin to guess without photos. But really, a 4-inch barrel N-Frame with a P&R barrel that fires that big fat heavy .45 bullet? The choice is simple for me.

·
Registered
8,182 Posts
Apples

Oranges

I hate the lock, so I'd keep the 45. Like said above, if neither had the lock, it'd be the 29.

Reactions: Curt360 and jeepnut

·
Super Moderator
35,582 Posts
Here it would be the 25 , no need from either of us for the power of the 29, if needed grab a long arm..

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a model 25-5 in 4 inch nice condition and a scrolled 29-10 in 4 inch That was fired a few times also in nice shape with the box and tools.My issue is I need to keep one and have a problem choosing.Also what is the current value of these nice Smiths both in very good condition no scratches or dings all the blue is visible.
I have a model 25-5 in 4 inch nice condition and a scrolled 29-10 in 4 inch That was fired a few times also in nice shape with the box and tools.My issue is I need to keep one and have a problem choosing.Also what is the current value of these nice Smiths both in very good condition no scratches or dings all the blue is visible. View attachment 482397 View attachment 482396
ok so I uploaded pics I’m not new to firearms but new to revolvers.I do like both but can’t keep both.Thanks for your time and input helping a tough decision.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Grips on the 29-10 were never designed by anyone that ever shot a 44magnum..to thin watch hickok45 video. But you can change them, for the $$ I would buy an 80s 29-2..

Thewelshm

·
Banned
1,715 Posts
No locks for me........ever.

Thus it's an easy choice.

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
It looks like you're fortunate that your 25-5 is a later one with the non-pinned barrel. The early ones with a pinned barrel had an issue with oversized cylinder throats that affected accuracy. S&W was replacing those cylinders for free until they used up the inventory of the correct cylinders.

The oversized throats measure out at .458, they should have been .454-.454, according to Roy Jinks, the S&W Historian and Product Manager at that time.

The issue was corrected with the later production non-pinned barrels.

Your 25-5 with the 4" barrel is a relatively scare animal, it totally would be a "no brainer" for me... keep it.

Reactions: Devildog

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here it would be the 25 , no need from either of us for the power of the 29, if needed grab a long arm..
Wendyzxz thanks I have a tough choice.The lock doesn’t bother me it’s just which one is better quality will last without issue.Also retain some value as both have been fired.When I went to a local dealer he offered 800 for the 29 and 400 for the 25..His reason on the 25 was expensive ammo and more valuable in 45 acp.
It looks like you're fortunate that your 25-5 is a later one with the non-pinned barrel. The early ones with a pinned barrel had an issue with oversized cylinder throats that affected accuracy. S&W was replacing those cylinders for free until they used up the inventory of the correct cylinders.

The oversized throats measure out at .458, they should have been .454-.454, according to Roy Jinks, the S&W Historian and Product Manager at that time.

Your 25-5 with the 4" barrel is a relatively scare animal, it totally would be a "no brainer" for me... keep it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wendyzxz thanks I have a tough choice.The lock doesn’t bother me it’s just which one is better quality will last without issue.Also retain some value as both have been fired.When I went to a local dealer he offered 800 for the 29 and 400 for the 25..His reason on the 25 was expensive ammo and more valuable in 45 acp.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Why is it scarce Gunhacker at the dealership he offered me 400 said the 45 acp was better.I wanna say I wasn’t selling for 400 but value and I put a .452 head into each cylinder had to be pushed at the end a .453 would be perfect and felt .454 really tight.I liked the 45 instantly but the scroll work and the 44 mag had the higher price tag.Just couldn’t pull the trigger on which.I haven’t seen to many 4”” 25-5 why I was asking.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
In the .45 caliber arena guns chambered in .45 Colt are usually valued higher than their .45 ACP brethren. For a relatively quick sale $1000 for the engraved Model 29 should be an attractive price. For the Model 25 $900 would be a quick no BS sale price. The classified section of this forum and the blue forum would be good places to start.

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
Why is it scarce Gunhacker at the dealership he offered me 400 said the 45 acp was better.I wanna say I wasn’t selling for 400 but value and I put a .452 head into each cylinder had to be pushed at the end a .453 would be perfect and felt .454 really tight.I liked the 45 instantly but the scroll work and the 44 mag had the higher price tag.Just couldn’t pull the trigger on which.I haven’t seen to many 4”” 25-5 why I was asking.
Well, either the dealer doesn't know the S&W market or he does, and was making you a low ball offer on a desirable gun.

Your last sentence says it all "haven't seen many 4" 25-5's". More 6" barrel guns were made than the 4" and 8-3/8" barrel versions. Many people hold a higher regard for the older pre-lock guns, so they tend to carry a premium.

Looking on Gunbroker as a "general guide", the 4" 25-5's are priced in the $1000 - $1200 range, the 6" barrelled guns are in the $800 - $900 range.

don't know where you're located, but in the California market, that gun would be in the $1200 - $1500
range... yeah, our handgun pricing is crazy due to our convulutive restrictive handgun purchasing laws.
There are many pros and cons between the .45 Colt and .45acp... and that would easily be a topic tread by itself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, either the dealer doesn't know the S&W market or he does, and was making you a low ball offer on a desirable gun.

Your last sentence says it all "haven't seen many 4" 25-5's". More 6" barrel guns were made than the 4" and 8-3/8" barrel versions. Many people hold a higher regard for the older pre-lock guns, so they tend to carry a premium.

Looking on Gunbroker as a "general guide", the 4" 25-5's are priced in the $1000 - $1200 range, the 6" barrelled guns are in the $800 - $900 range.

don't know where you're located, but in the California market, that gun would be in the $1200 - $1500
range... yeah, our handgun pricing is crazy due to our convulutive restrictive handgun purchasing laws.
There are many pros and cons between the .45 Colt and .45acp... and that would easily be a topic tread by itself.
I asked also that question while I explained I didn’t know much about smiths and or how to check them.He claimed it was less desirable. have just watched Midway USA video on checking Revolvers and that 25 45 colt is like new barely shot.virtually no play for as old as it is it Must of been a safe queen.Being I reload It is just one more set of dies to acquire.I also asked which one was more collectible he claimed the 29 was.Thanks for the info really appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts