Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Model 25-2 , .45 ACP that is a round butt. I bought it from a now deceased law enforcement partner back in the sixties and carried it for years. I have searched and cannot find any reference that Smith made a round butt. It has all matching S/N's and the frame shows no sign of alteration and all the proof marks are in the correct locations. So I believe it is a factory frame.

Any help out there?

·
Registered
make mine 45 acp 😎
4,071 Posts
id have to agree, probably custom.. post up some pics of frame bottom of the butt and sides.. along with whole gun and clear view of the side plate..

·
Registered
304 Posts
If memory serves me correctly (but sometimes it doesn't), I remember an article about John Jovino's "Effector" model in a gun magazine many years ago. If you have one of those, you certainly have a great collectible. Would love to see pictures of your gun.

·
Premium Member
20,723 Posts
S&W produced the "Effector" version of its standard 686 for Jovino. It didn't have the melted look of the Jovino modified guns. See this thread:

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Austin Behlert also modded quite a few guns back before S&W got on the short barrel train. But most of his he signed. The 25-5 I have has a small script on the barrel "Customized by Austin Behlert"

bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry to take so long getting these photos posted. Holidays. Covid. Bah-Humbug. I have 22 photos. I hope they all make it, this is new ground for me. Whoops! Just got a message - 10 photo max per message. Will follow-up with 2 short messages with additional photos.
As you can see, the tooling marks on the grip frame appear to be OEM original with no cuts/welds visible and proof marks in correct place. Obviously the barrel was reduced at muzzle and frame end. Ejector shroud and rod reduced to 15/16 in. Front site replaced with a ramp. Serrations on the ramp are clearly hand filed and pinned. Rear site is original condition. Gun is amazingly accurate with 3" barrel. Any help will be appreciated.
In addition to the Round butt 25-2 I have included photos of a Model 25 (No suffix number) Four Screw set up for bulls-eye. It has a Smith & Wesson slip-on muzzle compensator that works remarkably well. I have searched the internet and have not found any reference to this item.
In the mid seventies, at the Winter Nationals in Tampa, a Smith Rep saw it and wanted to buy it for a ridiculously high price. Glad I kept it. Many trophies. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,
The Crook

·
Registered
10,136 Posts
Hey C Man,

Wow!

Fine pair of .45's!

Later, Mark

1 - 19 of 19 Posts