Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A photograph of the other side.

This is how it arrived. Chopped and dirty. It needs a good cleaning and then some time in the shop.

When I tried the action it stacked badly, almost to the point of not functioning. I was relieved when I removed the grips and found this.

Yep, the strain screw was not tight. Grabbed an Allen wrench and snugged it solid. Nice smooth but heavy action.

It also came with a 4 1/4” barrel that is well crowned but the Patridge is slightly askew.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I prefer my barrels to be a little bit shorter but this will work. The grip frame has been altered for round K’s but of course up by the horn we are still in N frame territory, so custom stocks will be the order of the day.

As I get pieces of the puzzle together, I will post follow ups.

Thanks for visiting.

Kevin

·
Registered
10,136 Posts
Hey Kevin,

Way Kool!

What do you have planned for a front sight?

Oh! I'll give ya $50...CASH MONEY...right now! fer that!!

(y) :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

Just to let you know....at the ARMOR EXPRESS PIN SHOOT.... 3-1/2"/6 rds/no reload is the "Carry Gun Class"....:LOL:(y)

Later, Mark

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
30,038 Posts
Great project! Can't wait to see how it progresses and then when it's done. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your last pic shows a different barrel. Are you going to use it instead? I like the 4 1/4" barrel better. Neat project.(y)
Yes, it is my intention to use the 4 1/4” barrel,

I am having trouble deciding if this is a factory or a shortened barrel.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Kevin,

Way Kool!

What do you have planned for a front sight?

Oh! I'll give ya $50...CASH MONEY...right now! fer that!!
Careful what you wish for!

Mark, if you look at the muzzle on the 3.5” barrel you will note it is slightly off kilter. I no longer have the equipment to correct it. Or at least not quickly, files will always work.
If I were to stick a sight there it would likely be a McGivern or Call bead.

Just to let you know....at the ARMOR EXPRESS PIN SHOOT.... 3-1/2"/6 rds/no reload is the "Carry Gun Class"....:LOL:(y)

Later, Mark
My competition days are long behind me. I am a used-to-was now!

Kevin

·
Registered
10,136 Posts
Hey Kevin,

I'm thinking it was shortened!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
StrawHat, can you better explain how the Patridge Sight is 'off kilter' on the barrel? I'm certainly not doubting your skilled observation, but for a novice such as myself (and I'll bet I'm not alone!), I simply don't understand what you're pointing to as a reference. Some help please!

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
StrawHat, can you better explain how the Patridge Sight is 'off kilter' on the barrel? I'm certainly not doubting your skilled observation, but for a novice such as myself (and I'll bet I'm not alone!), I simply don't understand what you're pointing to as a reference. Some help please!
A picture is worth a bird in the hand!

I have tried to show how the front sight leans a bit to the left.

If my shop were up and running, I would square the barrel in a fixture and lightly clamp the sight to the barrel. I would then apply heat. When the solder melts, the sight should align itself with the rib. If not, plan B!

Kevin

1 - 20 of 42 Posts