Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Serial number N25000 and shipped in 1972. One of three made in this barrel length with a bright blue finish and fitted with smooth target stocks made of birds-eye-maple. Great gun to shoot with either 45 ACP ammo or 45 Auto Rim. Another "oddball" in my collection that just seemed to find me :shock: .

The second photo is of a 1955 Target 45 with a four-inch barrel. This revolver (S80000 range) started out as a 1950 Target 45 that was shipped to Remington Arms as a test revolver is April 1951. It was returned to S&W in 1955 and "transformed" into what you see in the picture (i.e. four inch barrel, target hammer and trigger, and target stocks). The barrel is serial numbered to the gun and there are no rework marks on the gun. It was returned because of accuracy issues with the 1950 Target 45 and it was felt the 1955 model would be more accurate. It is a great shooter also and has spent quite a few hours at the range over the last ten years or so.

Bill

·
Administrator
8,100 Posts
Re: Model 25-2, 8 3/8-inch, Maple Stocks

That's a real beauty!

·
Registered
152 Posts

Unreal Bill !! Those grips are beautiful !! How come Smith did`nt do more of that ?? Were those grips made in house in those years ??

I feel for ya , ending up with all these odd ball guns !! I wish I had your bad luck !! #:-s

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Ralph...S&W made a few pairs of stocks (Magna and target type) from birds eye maple that supposedly was salvaged when the plant was moved from Stockbridge Street to Roosevelt Avenue in the late 1940s. I think Roy Jinks confirmed this to me once, but my memory is a little vague on the subject. Needless to say, stocks made of birds eye maple are seldom seen and most often are found on the original gun.

Bill

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Bill,
Outstanding stocks on both guns.
What a neat pair of revolvers...it's the unusual that seems to appeal most to me.
Don

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jim...Michael Tait purchased N25 a few years ago from Rock Island Auction. I don't know if he still has it or not. I don't know where the third one is.

Bill

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Bill,

I do so love that 4" 25-2.

More than once I've wondered why Smith & Wesson didn't produce this revolver during the Wheelgun-Haydays of Law Enforcement. With full or half moon reloading I believe it would have made for a far better holster gun than the 27 which recieved alot of LEO attention in the 1950's and 60's. The same question would be true of the 1950 Army which would have been a natural with a 4" instead of the issued 5 1/2".

Thanks for the wonderful photographs.

Drew

·
Registered
656 Posts
1 of 3 made...

... and it shoots great.

I love it!

That 4" Target 1955 is one of the coolest guns ever. Only way to improve it IMO would be to use the tapered 1950 barrel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts