Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
I had my FFL back in the 80s and early 90s and used to see these advertised all the time in Shotgun news, etc. I sure I had picked ALL of them up back then because they had really unique special features.

Reactions: Kerz

·
Registered
55 Posts
Very nice looking gun, that would be desirable to a lot of folks, i am a fan of snubs. I am sure there are members of this forum who could give advice on how to work those grips over.

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
Reactions: Kerz

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
Yep, and they're not getting cheaper as time marches on

Reactions: Breakaway500

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts
Those grips won't need much to take care of what looks to be scratches in the finish.

Get yourself a bottle of Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil, and then mix a little with mineral spirits to thin it down to a 50/50 mix. Apply a light coat with your finger, it may take a few coats, to blend it in with the existing finish. You're probably aware of it but those grips would represent $250 of the price of the gun.

I bought mine in 2009 for $650, and I thought that was a lot... as previously said, they have no where to go but up. These particular guns represented a ground breaking change for S&W N-Frames at the time. It was the first factory produced round butt grip frame done on the N-Frame, prior to that a round butt N-Frame was only available from custom gunsmiths.

Reactions: Kerz and DocWyatt

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
I paid $800 for mine a few months ago, but it has a couple of "flaws." The previous owner installed a weird front sight that I don't care for, but I suppose I can live with it. And it didn't have the original grips, but an ugly set of aftermarkets that I replaced with a set of Altamont "Cokes." Also it's a -6, with the lock, so that hurts the price. There was a -3 like the OP's in the case at the same time, but it was $1200. I figured for $400 less, I didn't mind lock that much.

On the other hand, it did come with the box and papers. I've fired it a few rounds, but haven't had a chance to go to the range in months.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
The 29 on top is supposed to be a Lew Horton special, I have no proof it is only what I was told when I bought it. When you shoot it with full house loads it's kind of like laying you hand on an anvil and allowing some one to smack it with a hammer. It is now a .44 Special to me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts