Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone help me understand the various "dash" versions and the Pros & Cons of each?
Also wondering which versions are the most saleable, or hold their value the best.
Thanks
Ken

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Morning Ken and Welcome to the friendliest forum on the 'net!

With regard to the various Engineering Changes as delineated by the "-" markings, I would say that the Pre-19s (no model markings) are about the most valuable and the "-1"s are the rarest.

Generally, the earlier - number, the better.

-3's & -6's are pretty common by virtue of their duration in production and I think that the later guns make pretty fair shooters. Some -3's will be found with Diamond Stocks and these are considered desirable.

As far as saleability, I find the 2 1/2" barrel length guns command the best prices followed by the 4" and then the 6". Authentic 3" and 5" guns are rare and bring a huge premium.

Drew

·
Registered
215 Posts
While I love all variants and versions of the model 19, I must say that I've had several 4" 19-4's that were uncannily accurate.

They all had smaller than normal S&W trademarks stamped below the thumb latch, and beautiful blue finishes. They shot like sniper rifles. Of course I traded them :oops: and only have one of them left.

Great revolvers! Regards 18DAI.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts