Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Which .357 should the boy get?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Oldest son (Sub boy) is looking at various .357 revolvers with target sights. He's mentioned a Model 19 but I was thinking a Model 27 would be easier on the hands with .357 ammo. He's not buying a carry gun and I did convince him to stick with P&R guns. ;)

My only K frame .357 is a 66-4 as a carry piece and I have a 5" Pre 27. I know what I like, but what's the thoughts of the forum?

Maybe a poll? :D

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Fifty years ago I started my S&W journey with a 27....Have carried and shot all the frame sizes.

Back to the N frame for the rest of my duration. I'm satisfied everyday with an N frame.

**Found a pic er two....

My first S&W was one like this one, (pre-27) bought it at the hardware store for 125 bucks.

I also like the 5" 357s as well.

Back in the early 70's the crowd I ran with, we shot a lot of Super Vel 357's.

The N frames handled it right well....My K frame 357's not so well. But, that was then.

I now mostly shoot 173gr hard cast SWC's over a dollup of 2400...For the knock em out and drag em out loading.

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
27 has the nicest fit & finish, 19 is lighter & smaller grips are often more comfortable. 27 being bigger & heavier will handle hot loads better but who uses hot loads for range use? 19 costs a bit less. Both are fine guns. Both can shoot cheaper, mild recoiling .38 specials or super mild .38 Colts. Kind of hard to go wrong w/ those 2.

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
Ill make this real easy.....Get BOTH, I did ....:)

thewelshm

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
LOL. Unfortunately he has to do it on a Petty Officer 3rd salary.
:) My first was a model 19 in 4"..It was a great start mate..

thewelshm

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
I voted for "something else".... a middle of the road L-Frame, which I consider the best of both the K and N frame worlds. it strikes a balance between the lighter M-19 and heavier M-27.

I bought a 4" 686 when they first came out and it was and still is my favorite all around "utility" gun.

I'm not totally against K/N frames... lord knows you guys have seen my "herd" photos representing my K/N frame family, I've just found that over the years, I've increasingly gravitated to pulling an L-Frame from the safe when I've decided to go play at the range.

·
Premium Member
10,021 Posts
Using Newton's concept with mass to manage recoil....

The Smith and Wesson "N" Frame: Big, beefy, hand full.

·
Registered
7,551 Posts
LOL. Unfortunately he has to do it on a Petty Officer 3rd salary.
Which one fits his hands best? THAT will go a long way on how shooting magnums feels to him.

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
If he becomes a true S&W revolver fan, at some point he'll probably acquire all the frame sizes (like most of us have). If that's the case, then it really boils down to which model and frame size he wants to start his .357 journey with. I recommend the one that he's most comfortable with...........and it's totally his subjective call.

++EDIT++
If I were to have only one .357 Magnum handgun, it would be a 3 1/2" Model 27.

·
Registered
19,453 Posts
I have one J frame M-36 2" that I used to carry, because of it's small size. Shooting it is not great....but OK. The trigger is too heavy, and the recoil is a little too stiff with +P .38 Spl. ammo. It's made to be a protection, CCW piece, and it's good for that.

I prefer my 3 K frames for shooting 125 Gr. .38 Spl. +P ammo and 158 LSWC is my woods carry load.............it should stop just about anything that I come across in my 'neck o' the woods'. It could probably destroy a radiator or engine block, if you need to 'take out' a car/truck!

The M-66-1 2 1/2" can handle some .357 158 Gr. JSP, but will 'hold up' better to .38 Spl. ammo. That is recommended by S&W. I have shot a limited amount (couple boxes) of .357 Mag. thru it. I intend to retire the old M-67, that I had S&W rebuild in 2011, and I haven't shot it since....I think! :rolleyes: I will start shooting the m-66 on a regular basis with mostly .38's from now on. I also like my Ruger semi-autos .22 and 9mm. very much. I will carry the 9mm for CCW, and 66 on my 'woods walkin' forays.

I still shoot my M-10-7 2" most of the time, and keep it in good shape. I've got rifles and shotguns to play with, too! nfiofnp Bob

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I agree that the best possible answer is BOTH.
But if you have to choose one and it isn't for carry/SD then the 27, or its slightly less attractive and a lot less expensive sister - the M28.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I have had 357s in K, L, and N frame. I sold the L frames, 4” and 6”, because while accurate, they did not carry any easier than the N frame. I sold the K frames, 19, 13, and 66, but not sure why. I had a 4” and 6” N frame. Traded of the 6” and converted the 4” into a 45 ACP.

If it were my son, I’d steer him toward the 19. A fine, accurate revolver that carries dry well with or without a holster.

Kevin

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
For my frame and hand size, the 27 fits me best. I have multiple of each - not a thing wrong with the 19 - they are both easily the pinnacle of S&W's development. But the 27 gets my vote.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts