Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

New to the form here. I am looking at getting a classic line Model 19. I know the older Model 19's had a perceived problem with magnum loads cracking the forcing cones. As I understand it, the conventional wisdom was : mostly fire 38s, and occasionally 357.

My question is with regard to the newer Model 19 classic lines. Are these newer models designed to take a steady diet of 357, or is the old wisdom still in effect with these newer models?

If they can take a steady diet of 357, can they withstand a large dose of 125gr, or should we keep those 357s mostly 158?

I read that SW did make a change on the forcing cone, so I am hopeful that they can, in fact, handle a diet of 357 (at least the 158s).

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
All of the 19's were fine w/ a steady diet of .357 loads except for the 125 grain extra hot loads. Those were the ones that caused the trouble, when the 19 came out those loads didn't exist & they were never designed for those loads. I believe the modern 19's are redesigned for the mongo loads but 125 grainers are more of an over-penetrating stunt than a useful round. A .357 w/ 158 grain semi-wadcutter standard load is plenty of gun for anything smaller than a polar bear.

·
Registered
19,551 Posts
I would do as InjunBro says with a K frame revolver, I may shoot my M-66-1 with the tons of .38 Spls.+P that I have. But, if I wanted to shoot .357 all the time.....I'd get an L frame, and not worry about having issues with it's forcing cone. If you can handle an N frame......even better!!!! ;) That's why S&W made them. Bob

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
All of the 19's were fine w/ a steady diet of .357 loads except for the 125 grain extra hot loads. Those were the ones that caused the trouble, when the 19 came out those loads didn't exist & they were never designed for those loads. I believe the modern 19's are redesigned for the mongo loads but 125 grainers are more of an over-penetrating stunt than a useful round. A .357 w/ 158 grain semi-wadcutter standard load is plenty of gun for anything smaller than a polar bear.
Hate to bust you're bubble but that's not true. The FC split in my 19 and ALL I ever shot in it was cast bullets of 150 grain or better. The myth of hot light loads is the all at fault is that just a myth. !9 FC's cracked with all kinds of loads. BTW My 66 from era that never hiccuped with any of my loads. Mine cracked in 1986. I bought a barrel. Made the frame blocks and changed it out myself.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
To actually answer your question, yes, the Model 19-9, "Classic" does indeed have an improved forcing cone. Well, it's different anyway. I'm not enough of an expert to say rather it's "improved" or not, but that's the general idea for the change.

Here's a shot of the FC on my Model 13-3. Not a Model 19, but they're both K-frame 357's. You can see the flat cut on the bottom of the forcing cone.

M13FC_zpswlhuid0h.jpg

FC19_zpsbodi2lvg.jpg

The second one is the forcing cone on my 19-9. As you can see it lacks the flat cut across the bottom of that was supposed to be the source of the problem. Rather it was or not, I have no idea. There are any number of theories about why it happened but I don't think anyone actually knows.

Will it stand up to hard use with 357's? Well, it's supposed to, but they haven't been around long enough for anyone to say for sure I don't think. I pretty much don't shoot anything but 38's in mine, but then that's what I've always done with my 357's no matter who made them. But if I was, I would do it with a 19-9 that could be fixed, easily, if something did break.

20180628_165025_zpstwbanri2.jpg

·
Registered
12,026 Posts
I don't think that S&W would have reintroduced the M19 without addressing the cracked forcing cone issue, considering their warranty. I would bet between eliminating the thin spot on the FC and modern heat treating/metallurgy that they at least think they have eliminated the problem, but a CB said up above. They haven't really been around long enough to know yet

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I’ve shot tons of 158gr 357 magnums through my old style Model 19s with no issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I asked SW and got the following response: "Yes you can use a steady diet of saami spec 357 ammo in that model."

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
I asked SW and got the following response: "Yes you can use a steady diet of saami spec 357 ammo in that model."
So did you buy one yet mate?

thewelshm

·
Registered
19,551 Posts
Jonesy, I hope that S&W did address the problem on the new Classic M-19. I hope it does mean that, anyone who had a cracked forcing cone on the original K frame, can now get them fixed, with the new barrels installed by S&W! But, I'm probably wrong about that. We can only hope. Bob

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Re: Barrel replacement. If the threads, etc. of the new barrels are compatible with what was used on the earlier Model 19's, it would seem that all one would have to do is mill/file the bottom of the barrel where it projects into the frame window so that the necessary clearance was present to allow the cylinder to properly close. An advantage would be that a otherwise unusable Model 19 could be returned to service with a barrel that offered the current improvements in metallurgy and heat treatment as well as any improvements made in the throat, etc. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
The new barrels are a two piece design and are not compatible with the old guns. Sort of like the old Dan Wesson system they use a barrel and shroud. Not interchangeable however.

Sorry.

Reactions: Injunbro

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Jonesy, I hope that S&W did address the problem on the new Classic M-19. I hope it does mean that, anyone who had a cracked forcing cone on the original K frame, can now get them fixed, with the new barrels installed by S&W! But, I'm probably wrong about that. We can only hope. Bob
Smith won't work on the old 19's and if the new ones have 2 pc bbl's you'd be sol anyway.

·
Registered
19,551 Posts
I don't have a problem with my M-66-1 2 1/2". I don't shoot it much, but when I did, it would be only with .357 Mag 158 gr. Med. Vel. ammo.......which doesn't cause a problem, I guess! Just wanted to explore some options. Can the re-barrel be done by a quaflied gun smith? What would it cost? Is it worth it?
But.....It might be better to use up my .38 Spl.+P 125 gr. Jacketed ammo or 158 gr. LSWC reloads that I purchased years ago. I have enough that....I could shoot, once in a while....for years to come. weiweinp Bob

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
I don't have a problem with my M-66-1 2 1/2". I don't shoot it much, but when I did, it would be only with .357 Mag 158 gr. Med. Vel. ammo.......which doesn't cause a problem, I guess! Just wanted to explore some options. Can the re-barrel be done by a quaflied gun smith? What would it cost? Is it worth it?
But.....It might be better to use up my .38 Spl.+P 125 gr. Jacketed ammo or 158 gr. LSWC reloads that I purchased years ago. I have enough that....I could shoot, once in a while....for years to come. weiweinp Bob

Any qualified gunsmith can swap a barrel. Using the correct ammo like you do (& works fine for stopping anything smaller than a grizzly) causes no problems.

·
Registered
19,551 Posts
I ain't heard of a Grizzly around these parts, ......but, I heard rumors of Big Foot near the VT. border! But, I have seen a Black Bear about 450-500# wandering around the Berkshires in Savoy, MA.. I have heard of Black Bear, about the same weight, taken near Mt. Tom Reservation. (About 5 miles east of where I live.) That's a pretty big bear!!!! :eek: Bob

1 - 18 of 18 Posts