Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I am in hopes that someone can share some knowledge with me..
I have owned a model 19-6 Nickel revolver for a couple of years now.
It was purchased used, from a friend's gun shop, because it was one of the nicest ones I had ever laid eyes on, and is just beautiful!!
While it should be easy to love, with the best action and trigger I have ever felt, and with coveted, 3 T's, plus white out line, and red ramp sights, it has it all!
The trouble is that it shoots about 4 inches too high, at 20 yards, and I am holding a 6:00 bullseye. I have bottomed out the sight and still too high. What gives?
Since this revolver was owned by a person known to me, and he is a respected gun tinkerer, I wonder if the rear sight was changed out for a taller than normal sight? What is the correct sight supposed to measure, and how does one go about measuring it on the gun.
I dont shoot 357's, but maybe it would shoot them to a lower point of impact? So... Wrong sight from new, or has he change it out? Not sure?
I have been shooting my normal loads, 3.5 of bullseye, and a 158 - 160 grain semi wad cutters, or round nosed bullets of the same weight. This load shoots great in all my other guns, so it should work in this one..
I really hate to modify it, but I just can love this gun it it shoots way over everything. I know there are shorter sight available, but I need to know what height to order.

Thank you for the help!
BES

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
You should not jump to the conclusion that your sights are somehow not correct for your revolver.

Your gun is chambered for the 357 Magnum cartridge and its sights are designed to operate with that cartridge. While you can shoot 38 Special cartridges in your 357 Magnum revolver, you will not necessarily have similar points of impact with both cartridges.

If I were in your situation, I would take a few varieties of FACTORY 357 Magnum ammunition to the range and determine what your POI is based on your POA. Personally, I never use special ammunition in magnum revolvers. I have plenty of 38 Special revolvers for 38 Special ammo. I appreciate the utility of using both 38 and 357 ammo in the same gun, but I have never seen the need. This applies to my 44 Special and 44 Magnum revolvers, as well.

I hope you are able to resolve your dilemma without too much trouble. Good luck!

·
Registered
330 Posts
I think the front sight has been changed> I have owned several 4" & 2.5" M19s and have never had any issue with adjusting my sights with either 38s or 357s.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I get the whole 357 verses 38 deal, and point of impact changes.. I have 38 specific guns as well, but generally choose to shoot 38's in all my K-Frames, as it make it easier to remember where the sight is set.
I have, 686 that is set up for 357 only, and the extra weight seems to match the recoil better than the K's do, or at least for me..
My guns will be some of those with the dreaded carbon ring in the chambers when I am dead and gone.
Some one will be posting a question as to how to clean this out. ;)

So I have an update on the revolver. Last night at our club pistol match, we had a revolver friendly shoot.
A lot of these guys are old Cops, so when a chance comes up to shoot revolvers a few usually show up.
One of the guys showed up with a 4 inch 19. So we compared sights, and sure enough mine has a taller sight than his does. His is a little earlier than mine, as it has the recessed cylinder. I could not read the dash number with out a magnifier.. Dammed old eyes...
So I went home and tried to measure mine, and it came up .160' ish.
I ordered a .146, and a .126 sight, and will try each and see what the right height is.
I guess I can install, and as long as I don's stake the end of the screw, I can remove it, and try the other one? Once I am sure, I can stake the screw... right?
I also ordered a Wilson Combat spring kit for my model 15, and a set of Grace Screw drivers. Finally a decent set of screw drivers that is not made in China... I hope.

Thanks for everyone's in put! Now the wait for the mail man begins!
BES

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
My 2.75" Model 66-8 Combat Magnum shipped with a .126" black rear sight with a very shallow narrow notch mated with a .200" H X .125"W front. On the short barrel the front sight completely filled the puny rear notch. I like some light on both sides of the front. I changed the rear to a .146" white outline and that helped but the short front sight made it shoot high. I changed the front to a
.245" H X .100" W Dawson Precision fiber optic and that made it right. Much better sight picture and hits point of aim.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for posting this. Lets me check some of my others..
It would appear that mine either left the factory with the wrong one, or the original owner changed it out for the white out line, and didn't notice that it was a taller sight.
I have my parts on order, and if tracking is correct, it will arrive Saturday. Since its a quick change, I will probably change it, and go try it out before the week end is over.
Thanks so much for the help..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts