Smith And Wesson Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Your grips have been cut down, they should rise to the top of the rear of the frame. No biggee, looks like they were modded for speedloader use. Look at the original outline of the grip on the side of the frame. Great find love the older nickel guns.
That's a set of Targets with a speedloader cut, they came out mid-70's, I think, but are correctly made for S&W stocks of the period.
Good idea. The gun shoots magnums fine. The box and papers were a bonus. I won't be trading this one for awhile. The grips shown on Charlie21 post above would bring it back to more original. I will try to obtain those but shoot with the target grips. Thanks.
Charlie's stocks (if you mean the 2-1/2" snubbie) are round butt magnas, too small and wrong shape for your square butt gun. Your stocks if the standard magnas, would look similar to these that belong to my M48-4. The proper target stock for your gun would most likely have the 'football" cut like my M19-3, which is from 1974.
Plant Dress Gold Human leg Metal

Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks for this information. My gun is from 1973 and stocks are 1983. With the pics you sent I can look for a more period correct set.
There is a wealth of knowledge from members here.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Years ago, I had a 2 1/2" M66. After shooting a few full magnum loads from it, I sold it to my Stepson who carried it when flying his Helicopter for the Border Patrol for many years. I did not like the muzzle blast. My Great Grandson owns it now. Big Larry
2.5” M66 you say...
keep it in the family @Big Larry! That’s awesome!!
Revolver Motor vehicle Wood Plant Grass

·
Registered
667 Posts
2.5” M66 you say...
keep it in the family @Big Larry! That’s awesome!!
View attachment 552316
His M66 was stolen in a burglary and Police recovered it a year later. Gun was not abused, but I am not sure if they recovered the original box. It was given to him as a gift for his graduation from the PD Academy. He is now a Registered Nurse at the prison in Utah. Bought a bigger safe too.
BTW, my carry gun is a nickel plated, old, Sig P220 45 ACP. Big Larry

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
His M66 was stolen in a burglary and Police recovered it a year later. Gun was not abused, but I am not sure if they recovered the original box. It was given to him as a gift for his graduation from the PD Academy. He is now a Registered Nurse at the prison in Utah. Bought a bigger safe too.
BTW, my carry gun is a nickel plated, old, Sig P220 45 ACP. Big Larry
Would you look over the picture of this 19-3. I am considering it for $800. Has a trigger shoe.
Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun
Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Looks pretty nice. The grips are not original but look great. The rear sight is adjusted up pretty high but you can adjust it to your liking. A bit of time with some Flitz and a rag and it would stand pretty tall.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Need more pictures; one of the other side, one of the cylinder open to see both ends, and one of the yoke cut, to see the SN in order to date it. Nice looking set of stocks. Has the standard trigger and looks like a semi-target hammer.
Thanks. I only have these two other pictures. I may buy this tomorrow. Just don't want to get taken for a ride.
Sleeve Wood Gun accessory Auto part Font

Revolver Black Bicycle part Rim Automotive wheel system
Sleeve Wood Gun accessory Auto part Font
Revolver Black Bicycle part Rim Automotive wheel system

·
Premium Member
22,382 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! I'd hold off buying that gun until we can see more of the grip frame. According to the cylinder, it has been back to the factory for work (star stamp). I believe the R on the cylinder indicates a replate. If you take off those grips, there should be an N stamp to indicate it was originally nickel plated. There may be an RN in a box to indicate a replate in nickel. There should also be another star next to the serial number on the bottom of the grip frame and a service date on the left side toe like MM.YY. I think $800 is too much for a refinished gun.

·
Registered
421 Posts
It isn't a bad-looking gun, and if replated, was done properly. I don't see an "N" on the rear of the cylinder to indicate an original nickel, but the extractor star is still blue, and hammer and trigger are still case color, signs of a factory nickel job. I'd still like to see at least a partial SN; looks like the SN may be stamped on the rear of the cylinder to the left, between the star and the R. Of course, it will also be in the yoke cut and on the bottom of the grip frame, you'd have to remove the stocks to see it, but there's also the other stuff that Wiregrassguy mentioned to look for there. My blue M19-3 is from 1974 and does not have those small numbers on the cylinder in that spot, makes me think this is an earlier gun than mine. I can't see the ampersands, are they "lazy" or the same style as the lettering in the registration lines?

If you take this info to the seller, do you think he might drop the price a little? Worth a shot for a nice gun once cleaned up.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! I'd hold off buying that gun until we can see more of the grip frame. According to the cylinder, it has been back to the factory for work (star stamp). I believe the R on the cylinder indicates a replate. If you take off those grips, there should be an N stamp to indicate it was originally nickel plated. There may be an RN in a box to indicate a replate in nickel. There should also be another star next to the serial number on the bottom of the grip frame and a service date on the left side toe like MM.YY. I think $800 is too much for a refinished gun.
Wow Guy,
You are a wealth of knowledge! I’m always impressed, and learning new stuff from your posts. Thank you for sharing your knowledge!

·
Premium Member
22,382 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, 41 Charlie! I just want to point out that there is an excellent write-up in the Standard Catalog of S&W, 4th Edition, page 24 and Appendix C on factory refinishes and how they were marked on older guns. Anyone looking to buy collector grade S&W handguns should be familiar with these marks and indicators.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts