Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
2,291 Posts
Unfortunately you have a non factory replacement label on your box. It's not the end of the world and luckily the perp was uneducated enough for any discrepancy to not be an issue. Model 19s can be blue or nickel. Model 66s are stainless.
Yep. So obvious even I spotted it. :unsure:

·
Registered
421 Posts
I picked this one up last week with original box. Serial number dates from 1973. Box says SS finish but the forum says only nickel were produced. Need newer opinions.
If it is a M19, it is either blued or nickel finish. Yours is nickel, the trigger and hammer are case-color hardened. When you open the cylinder, the extractor star will still be blued, and there should be an "N" somewhere between a couple of charge holes on the breech side of the cylinder. The butt frame will also have a N somewhere on one of the straps. With a good cleaning, it should shine like the chrome bumper on a Coupe de Ville.

If $950 is what you paid, it's worth it. Nickel finish revolvers always carry a premium over blued ones. I gave $800 for a M19-3 with the original box, it is a 4" 3-T gun (target trigger, hammer and stocks). Yours has the standard trigger and semi target hammer. I like the dark GA stocks, they set the bright nickel finish off. They look like they've been held a lot.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I can overlook the fake label and passed up a blued one for this. It's tight and clean rifling. I will shoot it and likely keep it. The reputation is the Model 19 is very accurate if you do your part.
Do not use Hoppes /#9 on this gun. Fine for blued guns, but real hard on nickel. Give it a good Ren Waxing too. Big Larry

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If it is a M19, it is either blued or nickel finish. Yours is nickel, the trigger and hammer are case-color hardened. When you open the cylinder, the extractor star will still be blued, and there should be an "N" somewhere between a couple of charge holes on the breech side of the cylinder. The butt frame will also have a N somewhere on one of the straps. With a good cleaning, it should shine like the chrome bumper on a Coupe de Ville.

If $950 is what you paid, it's worth it. Nickel finish revolvers always carry a premium over blued ones. I gave $800 for a M19-3 with the original box, it is a 4" 3-T gun (target trigger, hammer and stocks). Yours has the standard trigger and semi target hammer. I like the dark GA stocks, they set the bright nickel finish off. They look like they've been held a lot.
It has the capital N under the grips. They are dated 1983 so not original. Thanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Your grips have been cut down, they should rise to the top of the rear of the frame. No biggee, looks like they were modded for speedloader use. Look at the original outline of the grip on the side of the frame. Great find love the older nickel guns.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey Larrylog your box might actually be the original box for your Combat Magnum. I’ve had the original labels fall off and disappear. The adhesive gives up after so many years. I’d remove the new label were it mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good idea. The gun shoots magnums fine. The box and papers were a bonus. I won't be trading this one for awhile. The grips shown on Charlie21 post above would bring it back to more original. I will try to obtain those but shoot with the target grips. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts