Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last few years I've been selling off most of my guns. Once in a while, I go too far, as a I recently came to realize when I woke up to the fact that I only had one Model 19, a 19-9 the new "Classic" one. Now don't get me wrong. I LIKE the -9. It's a fine gun, maybe the best Model 19 I've ever owned, but I still thought I should have kept at one of the, for lack of another word, "original" ones.

Along come my buddy Ali-Babba to the rescue. A fairly nice -3 turns up in his case last week and I bought it home. It has the target hammer and trigger and came with a set of Pachmayr Presentation grips. However...I just happened to have a really nice set of what I believe to be Rosewood Target stocks for a K-frame. How convenient. That's the real reason I bought the gun. I needed something to put those grips on. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Swapped the grips out and now I've got a decent looking "original" Model 19-3 from 1969, my junior year of high school.

19-3C.jpg

19-3d.jpg

Then I noticed something I'm sure the sharp eyed among you, (which would be most of you) noticed right away. While it's a -3, and the S/N indicates it's from 1969, and it is pinned, it is not recessed. :eek:

Well, what have I got here? The only good guess is at some point someone swapped out the cylinder for a "new" one. It's very well done. You can also see the cylinder stop on the left side, has a double step in it if you can blow up the picture. One step where the recessed cylinder would have hit, and another to stop this cylinder from falling out.

I didn't notice it until I was looking at the picture. I can't see any evidence of a reblue, but then I don't know everything to look for, especially if it was a really good reblue. No evidence the frame was damaged. I'm guessing it was done at the factory, maybe after the supply of recessed cylinders ran out. There are no factory "rework" marks, but my understanding is these were more or less phased out in the late 1970's, early 1980's. Awwww.....another "oddity." There is a hole in the butt, under the grips, behind the S/N that is about the size of a lanyard ring stud. The hole is not threaded. Interesting.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do with it just yet. As a shooter, it should be fine. It chambers magnum ammo, and cycles with snap caps perfectly. It's a really NICE gun, but every time I look at it, I know it's not "right." But when I look at it I also think...Man that's a nice gun. (LOL) And I think my wife can't make up her mind. My fault for not looking it over more carefully. I've gone back and forth a half dozen times about taking it back. Oh well.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Nice pickup, and interesting piece...

Mine is also a 1969 19-3, pinned/recessed. S/N K898xxx... curious as to your serial number range?

I would agree that it's likely a factory replacement done at some later time, since the guns were p/r for another decade or so...

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice pickup, and interesting piece...

Mine is also a 1969 19-3, pinned/recessed. S/N K898xxx... curious as to your serial number range?

I would agree that it's likely a factory replacement done at some later time, since the guns were p/r for another decade or so...
This one is in the K916XXX range. Not too long after yours I suspect.

I'll probably hold onto it. It's starting to grow on me.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Congrats on the 19. Interesting, I would accept the oddity and enjoy shooting it. All the lanyard ring holes I’ve seen are not threaded but drilled and the lanyard pinned so it can rotate.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Still a great piece, Congrats on the new find! I feel your pain about getting rid of the good ones....I let my buddy have my 1968 19-3 about 4 years ago...bad move but I still get to shoot it once in awhile. ohijgan

Attachments

·
Registered
27,257 Posts
Nice addition! Looks to be in great shape and you should get a lot of fun time with it at the range. Congrats.:cool:

Reactions: CajunBass

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats on the 19. Interesting, I would accept the oddity and enjoy shooting it. All the lanyard ring holes I’ve seen are not threaded but drilled and the lanyard pinned so it can rotate.
That's what it is. There is a little pin there that penetrates the hole. The lanyard pin must have a groove that catches that pin. I've decided to keep it. I don't know how much I'll shoot it, but I'm sure I'll at least try it. These days the Python is getting most of my range time.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Shoot it in good health mate, I know you will find another at Ali Babbas..

Thewelshm

·
Registered
11,029 Posts
We know that at some point S&W's still had pinned barrels and cylinders without the recess on the same gun. Transition gun. I think your gun might be one of those.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts