Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a model 19-3, 2.5 inch, from my neighbor. It was her husband's and when he passed away, she told me I could have it if she ever got ready to sell it. This was 5 years ago and I had just about forgotten about it. A couple days ago, she called and I went right over and purchased it from her. Good shape with Pachmayr Presentation grips. Slight holster wear on the blueing. A gun that has been carried, but overall in pretty good shape.

On the cradle it has the serial number 71942 and below that is stamped G7 and what looks like a 1 overlaying the stem of the 7.

Just curious, can you guys tell me anything about it?

·
Premium Member
22,382 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! It was made between 1967 and 1977. We can get closer if you will remove the grips and give us the serial number that starts with a K from the bottom of the grip frame. What you call the cradle is known as the yoke for S&W handguns. The numbers there are assembly numbers and inspector's stamps that have no meaning outside the manufacturing process.

·
Premium Member
22,382 Posts
It was made in 1971. The 2-1/2" models are highly desired by collectors. If you can post some pictures, we may be able to give you a value estimate. Unfortunately, the Pachmayr grips will reduce value somewhat because they aren't original to the gun.

·
Registered
211 Posts
On one hand I am always sad to see when the stocks have been changed out and the originals weren't kept with the gun. But then again, I can usually negotiate a lower price because of that. I have a 1971 vintage 19-3 that I picked up a couple of years ago for $500 that had the stocks replaced with a set of rubber Hogue's. The closest I could come to an original set for it out of my box-o-grips was a set of diamond magna's.

I don't see it being worth the $ to get a factory letter on this one, but the lack of a target hammer and trigger makes me think that it came with magna's rather than target's,

·
Registered
421 Posts
On one hand I am always sad to see when the stocks have been changed out and the originals weren't kept with the gun. But then again, I can usually negotiate a lower price because of that. I have a 1971 vintage 19-3 that I picked up a couple of years ago for $500 that had the stocks replaced with a set of rubber Hogue's. The closest I could come to an original set for it out of my box-o-grips was a set of diamond magna's.

I don't see it being worth the $ to get a factory letter on this one, but the lack of a target hammer and trigger makes me think that it came with magna's rather than target's,
I think M19's came with target stocks always, there is no mention of Magnas in the SCSW description, although it does mention dropping the diamond in 1968, which would have been in the dash-3 series. At any rate, that M19 looks great with magnas, especially the pre-'68 versions. I've only got one S&W that I didn't get the original stocks with but I generally change them to something more "stylish" or better suited to my hand size. I do mark any similar stocks so I can keep them matched to the gun they came off of, so that after I'm gone whoever next possesses them can keep them together. My M19-3 is a 1974 vintage, is a 3T gun, and was my first in my new collection, but my second M19 and third S&W overall. I once had a 6" M19-2 and a 4" M66 no-dash. Present M19-3, with original Targets and current Altamont replacements:
Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel
Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to everyone for your information. This is my 6th Smith, although all others are more late model than this. It belonged to my neighbor and friend of 15 years and I do not intend to ever sell it. I am going to shoot it though and did this last weekend. What a sweet gun. It may be the nicest shooter of all my pistols.

Again, thanks to all of you. What a great group.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts