Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I just purchased a S&W Model 19-2 from an elderly gentleman who is the original owner who told me he purchased it back in @ 1965. I’m trying to determine the manufacture date. Can someone help me with this?

·
Premium Member
12,437 Posts
What is the barrel length? Some 19-2's with serial numbers of K684xxx and K685xxx shipped in late 1966 and they had 2.5" barrels. K6300xx, a 6" barrel, shipped in Mar 1966. And a 3" barrel 19-2, s/n K6227xx, shipped in Jul 66. I'd say 1965, 1966 is a good bet. My 19-2, s/n K7162xx, shipped 3/68. Fine shooter.

pic uploading site

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes. It’s a 4” barrel. It’s In immaculate condition. The owner said he only shot it a few times. Great pic of your 19-2!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a model 19-2 .357 Magnum from 1961-1964 I sent it to S&W to be fixed I shot some rounds and the cylinder wouldn't eject. Hoping a quick fix. It has a polymer grip but I was told its a FBI or Police Issue gun how do I find this stuff out? Serial number is 171372 with a 2 under that its blue and in about 90% grading or better.

·
Registered
15,679 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I don't think that is the serial number. The serial number will be stamped on the butt of the gun. Depending on grip type, you may have to remove them to see it
Often, an unscrewed ejection rod will prevent the cylinder from opening. It only has to unscrew a little bit to bind the gun up

·
Registered
6 Posts
I sent the gun to S&W, I never took off the grips. Just opened the cylinder and where it says Model 19-2 there is the number I stated above with a 2 under it and than some mint marks. I do know it's an old gun. Has no night sights. I was gonna have it upgraded to night sights and keep the old ones sine they are original. I guess I will have to wait till I get it back. Id like to get a letter on it.

·
Registered
15,679 Posts
Sounds like those are the assembly numbers, used by the factory to keep fitted parts together through the finishing process. The 19-2 was made from 1961 until 1967, then they went to the 19-3. Your serial number will start with a K

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oh cool. Thank you. They have it atm so waiting for them to send me a quote on what it needs and to see if they will do the sight exchange on it for me. I never took the grips off and looked for a number. Glad to know.

·
Registered
15,679 Posts
Oh cool. Thank you. They have it atm so waiting for them to send me a quote on what it needs and to see if they will do the sight exchange on it for me. I never took the grips off and looked for a number. Glad to know.
Cool, how long is the barrel on your model 19?

·
Registered
15,679 Posts
It is a snub nose. 2.5" if I'm not mistaken. Or is 3.5" the shortest? Its short as short can be. I can post a picture i think I have one
2.5" is the shortest. They were first introduced during the dash 2 time frame. In 1963 they made a run of 50 snub nosed 19's and by 1966 it was introduced as a standard length. In between I would guess it was available as a special order

·
Registered
6 Posts
I thought I looked up that the 19-2 was 61 to 64. Im hoping mine is in-between those JFK years. Once I get the quote from S&W I'm hoping they'll have the SN listed for me and what not and I can keep you guys up to date as I know details. I just want it back to 100% working order smooth action etc and night sights so it can be my nightstand gun or even a back up. Its such a beautiful piece and until I buy another to replace it and hang it up id like to give it some use. I am nostalgic on the historical pieces. This gun is older than both of my parents. By almost 10+ years

1 - 18 of 18 Posts