Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a M19-2 that looked pretty good at LGS but not on the inside , took awhile to break loose boogered up screws . Watched gunblue490's video and disassembly and reassembly went well . Ordered Magna grips , screws from Ebay and ordered a BK grip . Thought about a re-blue but after researching decided just a touch up with Oxpho and polish.
0822201852192.jpg 0822201853191.jpg 082220154919dirt parts.jpg 082220163119dirt.jpg 082220174819 cleparts.jpg 19cle.jpg

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Cleaning out grease, oil, dirt that had turned into gun boogers can be fun. Take your time, let it soak, don't scrub too aggressively. Let you solvent of choice do the work. Reassemble, check function and admire your work.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Crikey..looks like someone used chassis grease on it. Bad looking guns = better pricing. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was bored so went to the LGS to check out rifles and ammo ended up with old M19 with ugly grips 😁

·
Premium Member
11,570 Posts
Sometimes a heart of gold trumps apparent beauty...

It looks great now, and I bet it will serve you for a couple of generations with proper care.

Reactions: azmick

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Perfect project opportunity.
I was never big on buying a job. Given everything we care to do is closed, even the National Forest up north, a project that results in an additional Smith and Wesson isn't a bad thing.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fired 19-2 first time time today and really impressed , maybe 2-3 inch groups at 3-5 yrds S/A Federal .38spl 130gr . Ordered a BK grip and Magnas but decided to keep the current grips maybe find O.E. type stocks later , also have new side plate screws

0829201159.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Remembered today had new side plate screws for my M19 ordered couple months ago . Found all three side plate screws very loose , cleaned the threads with Qtip and alcohol and reinstalled new ones. The more I look and shoot this revolver the more I like it , need to bench rest it next time to sight it in good . Have several boxes PMC 132 and Federal 130 gr FMJ , save the +P and Mags for the 686 snub. Learned a good hack to remove tight fitting grips with old NRA membership card ;)

·
Premium Member
19,140 Posts
It's never good to pry the grips. If loosening and then pushing off the right panel by pushing on the screw head won't do it. Removing the screw and rapping the prawl (knuckle) with a wooden or plastic tool handle or rubber mallet usually vibrates them off. This is the same technique used to remove the sideplate. But, may not work very well for target-style grips.

Reactions: mrerick

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's never good to pry the grips. If loosening and then pushing off the right panel by pushing on the screw head won't do it. Removing the screw and rapping the prawl (knuckle) with a wooden or plastic tool handle or rubber mallet usually vibrates them off. This is the same technique used to remove the sideplate. But, may not work very well for target-style grips.
Thanks they are tough to remove , everything is cleaned up and new screws so shouldn't have to remove them for awhile

1 - 12 of 12 Posts