Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up this Model 17-4. It's 99%. Along with the Model 66 I posted earlier this brings my budding Smith and Wesson collection to a total of two! weiweinp I'm finding that I like the pinned barrel models the best. As a mechanically inclined guy that just seems to make alot of sense.

I had a hoot shooting at tin cans tonight with it. Picture is a little fuzzy, the digital camera kinda freaked out focusing on all the shiny bluing.

Next on the list, maybe a model 27 or 28. fognbov

·
Super Moderator
20,134 Posts
How's about adding a Model 10, a Model 14 & a Model 19.
That ought to make a good starting collection with what you have, and if you can get the others on your list.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gearchecker,

Sage advice man, sage advice. The model 10 in heavy barrel is an attractive gun to me. I ended up with the 66 after a very nice model 19 slipped through my hands.

I think the 27 is next on my list. I'm debating between the 4" vs 6" version. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
LRWest,

First of all, welcome to the forum. Secondly, you won't find a wheelgun that is more fun to shoot than a K22. Good for you to score a 17-4. kfjdrfirii

As for the model 27 or 28, I would vote for a 27 if you can find one but either one would fit the bill. A 4" model 27 is a tough gun to find, but if you can then more power to you. I have a 6" 27-2 that is my favorite at the plate range. Shooting .38's in an N-frame is almost as much fun as shooting a K22. ;)

·
Super Moderator
20,134 Posts
First of all - The 17 is an excellent handgun all around in any length.
I love any wheelgun in a 6" barrel.

You know where you aim, the bullet is going.
The extra weight helps to manage the recoil and the barrel climb a little better.

It looks so cool in that long lean holster.

My Model 14 is a 6".
By far my wifes favorite gun. She tells everybody about "her gun"
My Model 66's are a 4" and a 2-1/2"
I don't have a model 27 yet, but I have a 629 in the closet that I'm getting ready to give a good cleaning for a friend of mine.
I think I might just have to get one for myself real soon - either the 27 or 629.

You can never go wrong with a model 10 either.
I think it is the quintessential wheelgun.
I've heard it said that you're really not a S&W guy till you own one of them.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
LRWest: A S&W Model 27 in either a 4 or 6 inch barrel? The best choice actually lies between those two barrel lengths and is - a 5 inch barrel. Some say the 27 balances best with a 5 inch barrel. I can't confirm, or deny the point of the balance,
but of all the different barrel lengths of 27's that I have had
(3 and 1/2, 4, 5, 6 and 1/2 and 8 and 3/8") my favorite barrel length has been the 5 inch.

5" Nickel, Model 27. . .BTW, all of the accolades on the K-22 are well deserved, I'm sure you will enjoy yours . . . and WELCOME!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A five inch model 27, neat! I've seen many 6 inch 27's out there and a few 4 inch but not a 5 inch.

I have a buddy who has a model 28 with the four inch barrel. I'm going to try and shoot that to see whether I would like the 4 inch tube on a 27.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You guys got the wheels in my brain turnin'. That model 14 sure looks nice. From the picture, it seems like it would point as well as the 6" model 17 I just got.

Shot my friends model 28 today. The 4" barrel shot well, though I do tend have a preference for 6" barrels.

Any recommendations for quality, thin grips on the N frame revolvers? My hands were just a tad too small to shoot the model 28 comfortably. I liked the heft of the N frame, the weight sure seems to settle things down.

·
Registered
296 Posts
My first K-22 was a Mod 17-4. It wasn't my LAST one though... (it's top right)

Triplelock has got the whole package with that 5 inch NICKEL Mod 27 with
smooth targets...

Now, if you can find one of those your in the big leagues! klgasilBRVO

GGF

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.