Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you gentlemen, and ladies, educate me on the model 17 with a 4" barrel and full lug.

How much is one worth with no box or docs? Are they rare, or just scarce? Anything really good or bad about this model?

Would a 3" model 66 be an even trade for one? Thanks! Regards 18DAI.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I would wait to hear from our resident K22 expert, Sebago Son, before offering a 3" 66. IMO, you would be getting the short end of that deal, but I may be wrong.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Three years ago I bought a 4" 17-6 (full lug) for $185 plus tax. Mint, No box. Came out of a high-traffic Gunshop in Vermont and the seller thanked me for taking it off his hands.

About the same time I picked up a 17-5 (heavy barrel, no lug) for $325. Again, Mint, No Box.

Last fall I was offered another 17-6, perhaps unfired, correct, with box and papers. The seller wanted $600. I counter offered $475 but he dug in his heels at $550 and I passed. It seems that he had just picked it up at a large nation auction (Amoskeag, I think) and had paid $550 plus the premium. Later he discovered his error and just wanted to get out from under.... he left the gun in the shop on consignment for a while, but last I heard he had taken it home.... I have no regrets. Bet he does.

Lest you think I am a cheap skate, not long ago I happily plunked down $1000 for a mint 17-No Dash with the correct box from 1961 (as I recall) and was glad to do it....

The thing that I have found about K-22's and those that seek them is that it's the 'classic' years from 1948-68 that sell well and are in the most demand.... While it's true that the later, modern K-22's (17-5's and later) were not made in large quantities, it's also true that there isn't a line around the block to buy them either... even -4's seem to suffer this fate.... I had a fella here not long ago that begged me to take his mint in the box -4 off his hands because no one else was buying.... I already had two, one in the box, so I had to say no.... his last price was $425....

The -5 models and later K-22's are really the 'Dead End Kids' of K-22's.

So When It Gets Right Down To The Nut Cutting, folks can ask huge prices for these things, but like the seller in the fishy auction noted, I doubt that they really sell well.... at least in the circles I travel.

As far as field use, I'd much rather take out one of the 18's or Pre-18's that are lighter, easier to holster and just as useful.

On the other hand, short barreled fighting magnums like the 3" 66-2,-3's are always in demand. Prices can be shocking for examples in only average, issued condition.... those in excellent condition are right up there with or surpass 3 1/2" 27's and are second only to the 3" 19's....

So...... My Two Cents...... If the trade were offered me, I would not let go of a 3" 66-2 or -3 for a 4" 17-6 with the underlug.

Drew

·
Registered
507 Posts
All that being said,how much ya want for that $185 4" full lug 17-6? I'll be happy to double your money! :mrgreen:
f.t.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Bobby,

I'm gonna save you from yourself.... :cool:

After shipping and transfer fees you'd be upside down in this gun.... :lol:

Thanks anyway Bro. :D

How's about doubling my money on a Nice, As New 6"-4? Leeesseee, that would be what? $850? :lol:

Drew

·
Registered
507 Posts
Sebago Son said:
Bobby,

I'm gonna save you from yourself.... :cool:

After shipping and transfer fees you'd be upside down in this gun.... :lol:

Drew

Thanks Drew. I don't know what I could have been thinking! You're a pal. ligp
f.t.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
So a 17-4 6" is worth about 425? I got ripped off 25 bucks then last summer for one. I paid 425 for a 48-4 6" last summer to.But I didnt get any boxes or tools with them. Of course that was last summer and I dont see any for that cheap any more.Unless they are pretty well used with holster wear and or some pitting dinged up grips etc.
The non pinned and recessed ones I never pay any attention to dont know what they go for becauase I have no interest in them. Except the 617 10 shots I wouldnt mind getting one of those for a shooter.But they are way pricey and I am EL Cheapo supreme and wont pay the price they want for one.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
All I said was that another one wasn't worth $475 to me.

From my perspective these later issues don't bring the kind of money the earlier ones do.

Whether you got ripped off or not depends on your perspective.

If you enjoy then gun, well then Hey, Who Cares?

But one thing is true.... I sure as hell wouldn't have much on the gun featured in the auction you linked to. Especially after the seller took it apart and the correct stocks were missing.

I was only asked my opinion.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all! I'll be passing on this 17, and keeping the 3" 66.

I appreciate the info. Regards 18DAI.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Here's a 17-7 that I bought on GB in April of last year for a little less than $500 after shipping & transfer. It's not for sale but if it was I'd want a dab of profit. ;)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Sebago Son said:
I had a fella here not long ago that begged me to take his mint in the box -4 off his hands because no one else was buying.... I already had two, one in the box, so I had to say no.... his last price was $425....

Drew
Funny, I don't remember my phone ringing? ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts