Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question regarding differences of model 15 and model pre-15? I am not very knowledgeable in old revolvers (or new for that matter) I have a pre-15 model coming to me next week and I would like some info. The serial number is 356** any estimate on build date?
thanks in advance for all your responses.
I will post pics next week when I get it.

·
Registered
10,305 Posts
Assuming there's a K in front of the digits, you're looking at 1948 as a shipping date. As for differences, the basic gun really isn't different, but any/all can come with different configurations either from the factory or later in life, such as the trigger and hammer. The sights should be the same and of course your pre-15 or actual K-38 Combat Masterpiece to be precise will have a pinned barrel. Please do post the pictures. I have one from 1950 and I'd like to see a comparison. BC2

·
Registered
798 Posts
A pre-15 of that vintage will be a 5 screw. There will be 4 screws on the side and one in the front of the trigger guard. Most model marked 15's only have 3 screws. I think the earliest model marked may have been 4 screws.

Twig.

·
Premium Member
18,387 Posts
They are the same except for model number. Of course, there are engineering changes over the years...mostly minor stuff related to the number of grooves on the front and back strap. Your SN would have to begin with K. If so, it would have shipped in the 1949 time frame.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts