Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Model 15 snub has developed a problem when firing in double action. At random times the gun will lock up at trigger pull . The trigger will not move . At first I thought it was something I was doing but the problem has gotten worse. If I open the cylinder and hold back the cylinder release , the action works fine. I'm thinking the problem has something to do with the hand engaging the ratchet. Any opinions? The gun goes to the smith Monday.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I have had the same issue more than once. Each time it has been fouling on the face of the cylinder catching on the rear of the barrel. When it happens open the cylinder and closely examine the face of it. You will most likely see shiny spots where the barrel has rubbed the lead deposits. This is one of the disadvantages of a tight barrel/cylinder gap.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had the same issue more than once. Each time it has been fouling on the face of the cylinder catching on the rear of the barrel. When it happens open the cylinder and closely examine the face of it. You will most likely see shiny spots where the barrel has rubbed the lead deposits. This is one of the disadvantages of a tight barrel/cylinder gap.
I thought that too. The face and forcing cone are clean and the gun works fine in single action. I think I'll take a peek inside to see if everything is doing what it's supposed to. Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
10,738 Posts
As long as you're opening it up, consider that since the failure is gradual it could be dirt or congealing lubrication leading to the problem. Next, look at engagement surfaces and springs. In particular, look at the rebound spring and the polish / cleanliness of the small cage that holds it against the frame.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As long as you're opening it up, consider that since the failure is gradual it could be dirt or congealing lubrication leading to the problem. Next, look at engagement surfaces and springs. In particular, look at the rebound spring and the polish / cleanliness of the small cage that holds it against the frame.
I think I may have a timing issue. If I keep thumb pressure to the left side of the cylinder , it works fine. All the internals looked ok.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Try to fire the unloaded gun double action with the cylinder open. Does it feel the same as when it locks up on you? If so, the problem may be in the cylinder release mechanism.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts