Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there I’m Gabe. I’m new to this forum and was wondering if anyone could tell me when my model 15-2 was made. Number K6728XX

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the quick response. By chance do you know if the model 15-2 came with a 6in barrel?

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
According to the SCSW, you would have to wait ‘til 1986 -15-5- to get a6” tube. The Model 15 is aka the Combat Masterpiece. The Model 14/ Target Masterpiece is primarily a target gun. The same gun with a 4” ( later 6” and 8-3/8ths”) barrel was called the Combat Masterpiece until 1957, when model numbers replaced named models. Hank

·
Premium Member
11,475 Posts
K6711xx shipped 4/66. Mine is K5298xx and it shipped 10/63.

·
Registered
17,549 Posts
Welcome to the forum with a greatmodel gun. Please post pics.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
22,230 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! We do like pics and would love to see the 15-2.:cool:

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Gabe, any chance of getting some additional pictures? One of the crane area showing the “15-2” stamp, one of the other side, one of the butt showing the serial number. And one showing the left side of the frame with the stocks removed. Thanks,Hank.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Maybe it’s the lighting, but the frame and barrel seem to have a slight difference in the color of the blueing. I have old eyes! Hank

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Hello Gabe. Welcome to the forum.

Another 15-2 here, also from 1966. Your's is just a bit older than mine, going by the S/N. Mine is in the K679XXX range. Mine wears period correct diamond target stocks and has the target hammer, trigger, and trigger stop.

100_0730_zpsms8ovsku.jpg

100_0733_zpsykeztvdo.jpg

They are fine shooters. I tell people here, I go back and forth of which is my favorite S&W, the Model 15, or the Model 19. Since this is about the Model 15, the Model 15 is my favorite. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey cajun bass your 15-2 looks really nice with those wood grips. I need to find some like that for mine.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Hey cajun bass your 15-2 looks really nice with those wood grips. I need to find some like that for mine.
I won't sell that gun because it would be too hard to find another set of diamond targets like those. The gun itself, not so much.

I've also got a really nice set of smooth Rosewood targets I need to find the right gun for.

Altamont makes very nice grips for most revolvers. They won't be period correct, but they look nice, and are reasonably priced. Here's a set on my Model 24-6.

Model24R.jpg

Model24l.jpg

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hey Gabe,

Welcome to S&W!

Wow! What a swell M 15!!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hey Gabe,

I'm thinking....previous owner may have wound a M-14 barrel on your revolver. Or, simply changed the front sight?

Notice the Patridge Sight? That is what came on the M-14.

S&W did make six inch Combat MasterPiece Revolvers. They had the Baughman Ramp Front Sight, same as the 4".

Hope this helps.

Later, Mark

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I won't sell that gun because it would be too hard to find another set of diamond targets like those. The gun itself, not so much.

I've also got a really nice set of smooth Rosewood targets I need to find the right gun for.

Altamont makes very nice grips for most revolvers. They won't be period correct, but they look nice, and are reasonably priced. Here's a set on my Model 24-6.

View attachment 459475

View attachment 459477
I definitely plan on keeping my 15-2 I was just thinking about changing the grips and possibly the barrel.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts