Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this forum but have enjoyed cruising it, you guys know your Smiths. I was offered a Model 14 the other day and am thinking about it.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Welcome to the forum Bob.

I can't help with a value estimate, but let me warn you.

I ran across a such a "good deal" on a 14-2 that I acquired it "just for trade stock"......

made the error of taking it out on the target range....

yup....'nuther keeper....

good luck with yours.....

·
Super Moderator
19,368 Posts
You can't get mine either. No way, No how!
I blew out the barrel a few weeks ago and tore the world apart looking for a replacement barrel.
I got my barrel, nearly mint. Going to my Smithy real soon to get it back in service.

This 14-3 of mine is by far the best handgun I have ever fired, no exception.
I have fired/owned some very fine revolvers too.
The next person to own this gun will be my daughter when I pass on. My wife gets all the others.
My 14 has the target hammer/Trigger and sight set. The finish is impressive. Maybe yours will need a very gentle buffing at a qualified smith to bring it back to it's original beauty.

The first time my wife fired it was 5 rounds at 10 yds for practice and to get used to it.
The next six rounds were in a 7 inch group at 25 yards. She made me keep the target as proof if nobody believes me. She loves it and it will be her side arm when we are hiking up here in the mountains.

Question - Is a model 14 any good - You bet it is!

As soon as you get it please post some pictures on this post so we can keep up with it.
If you don't buy it, you need to let us know who has it, so we can buy it.

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
Bobw. It looks like your gun left the factory in 1960. The SCS&W book shows a price in the excellent range of $400. Add a 20% premium for the five screw model. These prices don't reflect the run up in the last couple of years, though. You can add another premium (book doesn't say how much) for the 5 inch barrel, if so equipped.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Around here, with a common 6" barrel, non correct stocks, $350-375 would be about right for a 90% 14. Fnsh aside (ain't nuthin' wrong with a 90% gun!), it's probably a 38 Special tack driver, you won't often hear someone say they're sorry they bought the 14 they have.
Welcome to this forum! C'mon back after you bring it home, take a picture or 2 and post them.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Once you find out how well she shoots, you'll want to go ahead and get her sister the 17.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
BobW I didnt not mean to insinuate you are a thief Bud.I meant you got a outragously good deal. Havent you ever heard of the saying a steal of a deal?I cannot count the times I have heard some one say you stole that when some one got a super deal on some thing. It is no more than a saying.
I didnt look where you live but its probably not a common saying like where I have lived.We all live in different areas of the usa in here where sayings are common to a certain geographical area.I would have jumped on those deals in a heart beat and I am not a thief either. You paid the asking price and thats as honest as you can get.You are a member of this forum there fore I am happy for you to get a super great deal like I would like to stumble on myself.
If I came across a deal like you got and didnt have the bucks. I would post it in here so one of the members could get a stab at it.
You can go to e-bay and they have hundreds of original grips for sale to replace the rubber ones.

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
First welcome Bob, and I back up what onenut said. We always someone stole the gun when they get it for an awesome price. kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Glad for you Bob!!! You got some great deals, and this is a great forum, with some really great people here with no fussing or fighting. Its a common saying "to have stole it" and all it means is that you got a great deal. We all use it here, and for the most part get along really well. So welcome aboard, and good surfing!!!!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts