Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there more to converting a Model 14 to .22 LR than just a barrel and cylinder swap? I’m trying to imagine the firing pin setup. If I need to swap out the firing pin and recoil plate then I’ll pass. Anyone ever do this? I have a few S&W .38/.357’s and no S&W .22’s. I don’t want to drop a grand-plus on one if I don’t need to. I’ve changed pinned barrels and have the correct tools. BTW I did search and did not come up with much. Thanks!

· Premium Member
22,750 Posts
Yes. There is a lot more involved. The K-22 has a frame mounted firing pin which the Model 14 does not. I don't even know if it is possible to machine the M14 frame to install one. Even if it is possible, the amount of gunsmith work would probably make the conversion prohibitively expensive.

· Registered
154 Posts
Hmm, that was quick. Let's give this a little thought before giving up as I've had a similar thought some years ago. If your 14 has a firing pin bushing, could you not simply pop it out, then make or buy a rimfire offset bushing? Could you modify the 14's firing pin to accommodate this change? Two questions to ask yourself if you're planning on doing the work yourself. Both of these would be reversible if it didn't work out (using a spare 14 firing pin, that is). Good luck if you decide to at least try it.

Leland

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate that thought but I know my skill set and that’s asking more than my feeble, ham-handed lack of smithing talent can handle. If anything, I’d sell the Model 14 and kick in some boot for the 17 or maybe just get a 617. Thanks.

· Registered
5,070 Posts
Not easy or cheap. I have had a few custom guns built. All were caliber conversions but not center fire to rim fire conversions. I have over $1200 in each gun and the last one was done 5+ years ago. It’s way cheaper to buy a factory original gun that will appreciate in value than build something that will have a very limited appeal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts