Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posting pictures of a recent pick up, a Model 14-2, if someone knows the manufacturing date it would be appreciated. Figure post 1968 because no diamond in the grip and pre-1982 due to the pinned barrel.

Is it common to have non-straight cuts in the grip? One of the two grips is numbered to match the pistol but the bottom groove in the grip is far from straight.
I also notice the fit at the top of the side plate is not perfect, again is that normal?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Premium Member
20,718 Posts
1967. S&W only numbered the right grip panel. They aren't the prettiest factory grips I've seen, but not too out of line.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
32 Posts
As stated earlier the side plate damage was from improper removal. The grips look like they suffered at the hands of an overzealous owner trying to reestablish a clear border. Look at the worn checkering just above the border. That leads me to believe somebody was trying to freshen up the grip panel with a rotary tool.

I've handled a lot of S&W revolvers over the years and I've never seen a factory finished grip mangled like that.

A great find nonetheless. Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30,032 Posts
Great looking revolver! Congrats and enjoy. Range report soon?😎

1 - 12 of 12 Posts