Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spotted a sharp model 14-1 at a gun show today. 4 screw, 6 inch bbl, serial number K470***, didn’t ask the gentleman if I could get a picture but I would guess it was in 90%-%95 condition. I’ve been beating myself up for not buying it but the price seemed a bit steep. Can someone help me get a precise age on the gun, and a ballpark price of what it’s worth in today’s world. Apologies for the lack of pictures, hope someone can still help.

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
Well, without pictures and location of where you are, placing a value would be difficult to figure. As to age, you're looking at 1962. What was the asking price? They're highly valued as accurate shooters, I have two, but only one of them I actually shoot, the other is an investment for the future.

·
Premium Member
20,765 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! The M14-1 was likely made in 1961. (Stacy, I know the tables say 1962 but it was likely earlier.) The -1 engineering change was only around for a year so M14-1 models receive a 25-50% premium. I'd say somewhere around $700 would be about right for the condition you describe.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! The M14-1 was likely made in 1961. (Stacy, I know the tables say 1962 but it was likely earlier.) The -1 engineering change was only around for a year so M14-1 models receive a 25-50% premium. I'd say somewhere around $700 would be about right for the condition you describe.
The gentleman was asking $950 which I though was too high, but I wasn’t sure how high or if it was justified paying that much just to satisfy my want. I’m surprised they sit around the $700 mark, maybe it was nicer than I described, it was nearly perfect except for the grips, which were slightly under pristine shape. The whole unit could have been more like 95%-97%. Thanks for the feedback friends.

·
Premium Member
20,765 Posts
Well, as condition improves, so does the value. I don't see it selling for $950 but, with original serial matching grips, perhaps $800-850 at 97%.

Reactions: combat

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
I never hesitate to make an offer as long as I have the cash in my pocket to back it up. I can't imagine how many offers that I've accepted at shows and then the guy says " if I only had the money". That truly irritates me. At one show a friend of mine called my attention to a pre Model 29 in a vendors case that I overlooked. It was tagged at $2500 and I brought it home for $1250. It pays to ask.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I never hesitate to make an offer as long as I have the cash in my pocket to back it up. I can't imagine how many offers that I've accepted at shows and then the guy says " if I only had the money". That truly irritates me. At one show a friend of mine called my attention to a pre Model 29 in a vendors case that I overlooked. It was tagged at $2500 and I brought it home for $1250. It pays to ask.
Yes I agree it always pays to ask, I tried to bring him down off of $950 and had the cash in pocket but he wouldn’t budge. The one that got away.

·
Premium Member
20,765 Posts
Well, after 1955, the target stocks, hammer and trigger all became optional. The target models could be ordered with them. Or some previous owner replaced the standard parts with target parts. The only way to know for sure is to get an historian's letter which gives the shipping configuration.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
When I come across something I want and the price is a little steep, I just work some over time, bam, done. In the end, what's a couple of hundred bucks?

Some months ago a fellow sold me a revolver. When I saw it I almost peed my Depends. He had no clue the worth and I felt he didn't ask enough. I gave him more than the ask. What's a couple of hundred bucks? It's a party of six at a fine Mexican eatery. Food and beer gone, fine firearm present and accounted for.

Reactions: saemetric
1 - 12 of 12 Posts